Computer Support Forum

Power Plan changes randomly on x220 and t420

Question: Power Plan changes randomly on x220 and t420

Hello! Power plan changes randomly on my t420's and x220's with Windows7. I have the latest drivers for that models. Power plan changes from "Balanced" to "High Performance". Have you got any ideas how to fix that problem?

Relevance 100%
Preferred Solution: Power Plan changes randomly on x220 and t420

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/download.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Answer: Power Plan changes randomly on x220 and t420

Hi platino,

How long have you been having that issue?
Are you an IT administrator who configures systems for other users?
Can you manually configure each power setting so that they all have the same energy output or do you need to mave multiple power settings?

This link is to the Lenovo Power Manager Deployment Guide.
This will help to you set temporary/permanent power management settings for the users on each system.
Pages 7, 32, 34 & 45 may help you resolve you issue.

Try the steps in the guide and post back to the forum so we can share the results.
Have a GREAT day!

Be AWESOME Everyday!Donate KUDOS and Click "Accepted Solution"Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo! If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

1 more replies
Relevance 75.03%

Hi,
I have a recent DELL laptop:
Inspiron 7000 (Inspiron 17 7778 2-in-1),
Core i7, 16 Gb RAM, 128 GB SSD + 1TB HD...
Not a lot of programs and lots of space available.
In the last few months I have had a lot of poor performance issues. I finally figured out it is related to Windows 10 Power Plan. When set to "Power Saver", the performance is awful. The CPU is maxed to 0.80 GHz. So when browsing the net or looking at my picture gallery, the computer hangs, and it becomes impossible to use. If I change the plan to high performance, the computer behaves normally - fast!
And even if I change the plan to another plan (i.e. High Perf), the next time I restart or wake-up the computer, the "Power Saver" power plan is set back... Very frustrating. And as shows the image, it is not the "bolded" option in the list. What can be changing constantly that parameter??
I contacted DELL chat support and they asked me to re-install Windows! There is probably a better way to fix this. It looks to me as a DELL Driver conflicting with Windows. Also, my mother has an older DELL laptop on Windows 10 and she experiences the same issue...
Any help would be very appreciated!
Cheers,
Jean-Daniel

More replies
Relevance 70.11%

Hey everybody, I'm wondering if there is a way of configuring the power plans that if I am using my laptop and the AC is hooked up, windows will switch it to High Performance, and when it is on battery it will put it down to Power Saving mode.
I've looked through a few settings and couldn't find it, does anybody know if this is possible?

Answer:Possible to configer power plan for battery and power plan for AC connection?

AFAIK, no, but you can edit the power plans.

You could first create a new profile then:

Control Panel>Power Options>Edit Power Settings, click "Change advanced power settings".

Then change what components you want running or at a percentage however you want on battery or AC.

6 more replies
Relevance 62.32%

Which is better "today"... cosnidering build quality, display and keyboard typing experience ? thks

More replies
Relevance 60.27%

Hi From our experience with lenovo, almost each new laptop model, comes with a different 3rd party burning software.For example: T410 comes with ?Corel BurnNowSD? from my "goggling", I have found that Corel BurnNowSD might not be right for T420 and there is a Software named "Corel DVD Movie Factory" for burning discs, but I could not find it in the original Partition that comes with T420.Some sites say that Corel Burn.Now Lenovo Edition also fits T420 but also, no installation files in original partition. we use in our company a pre-made image of windows 7 that suite our needs.Hence the windows 7 installation that comes with Lenovo laptops is irrelevant to this thread as an OS installation, but I can browse the original partition before "destroying it" I need your help to know what is the relevant 3rd party burning software for T420 and X220 and where can I find it?s installation files. eaither on the original hard disk that the laptops comes with from Lenovo, or where can I d/l it from.(please do not refer me with a link to the "update/upgrade" software download page, cause it doesn't help because its only for pre-installed software) Thanks.

Answer:3rd Party Burning software for T420/X220

Maybe the default Corel bundle changed, but burning software is hardware-independent; you can use any burning software on any system.There are some nice, free or paid, third-party tools out there too.

5 more replies
Relevance 59.86%

Hello Lenovo! I expected to see a new BIOS-Update for my X220 at end of february: https://support.lenovo.com/de/en/solutions/len-18282 I was glad to see that, because Intel is just unable to make any clear statement and refuses to fix older CPUs. This is now removed, without a notice! Dangerous security issues must be always fixed, there is not out of support in general. Despite that, the X220 was sold till 2013 and 2018 is in the ususal five year warranty range of the ThinkPads. Can you tell us please, what is going on? I hope you will follow your own path of good support and not Intel. Interestingly there are still listed Microcodeupdates for SandyBridge (Server), same architecture. Thanks

More replies
Relevance 58.63%

Hello As much as I can see, many of my ThinkPad w530 stock Power Manager options are the same as in Windows 7 power options (power plans). But I was not able to find anywhere an answer to my quite obvious question, which of them settings have a priority in the event, that they are different? Say, if I choose "Enter system standby" value "after 30 min of idle" in ThinkPad Power Manager, but set the value of the same option to "Never" or "5 minutes" in Windows power options, which should work? Or may be the both simultaneously?  Thanks! P.S.Certainly I can check it myself which a series of simple tests, how it actually works. But my question has a bit another point, that is how these things should work. (I have some minor issues, say, laptop does not go to sleep/standby when works on AC, although previously it did it exactly as it is configured in Power Manager idle settings. So in order to detect possible cause I whish to understand, how it should work.)

More replies
Relevance 58.63%

Hi guys, I'm new here and this is my first post. I have an Optiplex 745 running Windows 7 Professional. Normally in the advanced setting section of the power plan option I have the option to change the power state, however all of a sudden these options have just totally disappeared. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Answer:Missing power state controls in advanced power plan settings

What Power plan are you using ?

Balanced, Power Saver or High Performance ?

Also, run a System File Check

SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

Use option 2

7 more replies
Relevance 58.22%

I overclock my CPU by changing its FSB and I have scheduled (Task Scheduler) this script to run every time I logon to Windows. But I would like to schedule it to downclock when I pull the power cord and then overclock as I plug it back in. Is this possible? It would also be nice if Windows changed the power plan when switching between AC/battery.

Answer:How can I change power plan and run scripts based on power state?

Hello Apex,

I'm not sure it's possible to have Windows change power plans automatically like that.

However, if you like, you could use either tutorial below to help make it easier to manually switch between power plans whenever you like.Power Plan - Choose from Desktop Context Menu in Windows

Power Plan - Create Shortcut to Change Power Plan
Hope this helps some,
Shawn

1 more replies
Relevance 57.81%

Hi,

I recently had graphics card problems and had to get my 8800GTS replaced. This took several weeks and now I'm running a 8800GT perfectly fine.

However, I've noticed my Power Options seem to be corrupt. Upon going into Power Options in the Control Panel, it says "Your power plan information isn't available."

I cannot understand why this has happened. I haven't touched any settings or anything to do with that. I have tried System Restore to an earlier point (before I got my new graphics card) and it didn't seem to help.

The help on the page says that registry keys may have become corrupt or been deleted. I'm not sure if this is the problem, but if it is how can I fix it? System Restore didn't help.

I would like to avoid doing a Repair with the Windows disc. I'm hoping there's an easier way to fix this problem. There has to be! I've been looking on Google and there is hardly anything on this problem. The very few people who do have it cannot seem to fix it, or used previous registry backups (which hasn't worked for me). There doesn't seem to be any resolutions from Microsoft at all.

I also tried using the "powercfg" commands in the command prompt, but didn't seem to have any luck there either.

I'll really appreciate any assistance! I cannot Hibernate or Sleep at the moment and it's a real inconvenience. I'd really like my Power Options back!

Thank you very much,

Domsy

Edit: Oh, and I've used "sfc /scannow" to ch... Read more

Answer:Power Options Corrupt (power plan unavailable)

Well, I'm quite amazed not a single person has replied (funny how my other problem has gone unanswered too). Guess I must have very uncommon problems!

I'm glad to say I've managed to fix it though. As described on a website somewhere, someone else managed to fix it by restoring the registry keys associated with it.

I decided to export the ones on my mum's laptop, delete mine, and then import her's to mine. It seems to be working fine! All Power Options are back, I can change how my PC shuts down, and I can Sleep now! And this was all without a restart. I'm guessing I can Hibernate also; I'll find out when I want to turn my PC off later.

If anyone else has this problem and needs a copy of the registry keys, I can send you them (I believe they work regardless of the computer. I had concerns because it was a laptop, but it seems fine). I'd rather not post them publicly as I am not sure of the sensitivity of them.

30 more replies
Relevance 57.81%

I have a T400 6474-AH4 Win7Pro SP1, If I run Power Manager (Ver 6.40) and try to apply a New Power Plan or try to uninstall Power Manager from Control Panel, I get the following error:"RunDLLThere was a problem starting c:\programThe specified module could not be found" I want to change the power plan so i get longer battery life and it is not letting me. I am also running Lenovo Power Management Driver 1.67.03.13. I am able to unistall and re-install this without error. 

Solved!

Go to Solution.

Answer:Error Apply Power Plan Power Management

Obviously something has gone wrong with the installation of Power Manager. There is a newer version, 6.61. Either from System Update or manually, try to install it, without uninstalling 6.40 first. I think this will fix the errors you are getting.

8 more replies
Relevance 57.81%

Hi!I recently had to wipe my system and reinstall windows 10 on my Thinkpad L450. After the reinstall of windows, I had lost all of my Lenovo programs. Including the Lenovo Power Optimized power plan, which I really enjoyed using. Is there any way that I can get that power plan back?So far, I've tried to reinstall the Lenovo settings app, but it hasn't brought the power plan.I'm really hoping for an answer because the power plan gave me about 3 more hours of usage than the standard widnows power saver plan. Thank you in advance!Kind Regards,Jes

Solved!
Go to Solution.

Answer:L450 - Lenovo power optimized power plan

Hi,I want the lenovo optimized power plan too. The battery life in my laptop has come down a lot after the Windows 10 upgrade. I used to get close to 7 hours. Now i'm getting only about 4 hours. Any suggestions for this?  

4 more replies
Relevance 56.58%

Hello, I am new to the forum. I have just purchased a Thinkpad X131e, and I have figured out how it works for the most part (but the Track Pad will take some getting used to). The one thing that is bugging me is how to switch between Power Plan modes. I know that it can be done via the Power Management utility, which would involve opening the program and manually selecting the desired plan each time. Is there an easier way to accomplish this? Is there some key combination that I can press to scroll through the available plans? Thanks in advance!

Answer:Power Management 6 Power Plan Switching

It's been several days and still no response. Does no one have an answer?

1 more replies
Relevance 56.58%

From Windows 98SE/2000/XP SP3 I always set my power settings as always on/never shut down (hard drive always on) with the exception of turn off display after 10 mins. Both my PCs are on for about 16-20 hrs each day and I always shut them down manually every night.

Now in Windows 7, I created a custom plan that basically more or less similar to the above, always on/never shut down/never sleep, turn off hard drive after 10000 mins (basically never off) except to turn off display after 10 mins.........well, last night I thought of trying out the "Balanced" (recommended) plan....and after 30 mins of inactivity, both my PC were off/shut down and I had to press the power/on buttons on both my PCs to bring them back (cause clicking the mouse/pressing any key on the KB wouldn't bring them back), is this normal or the way the Balanced plan supposed to work?

What's your or how you set your Power Options/Power plan settings on your Windows 7?

Thanks in advance.

Answer:Power Options/Power plan settings?

Balanced does turn your hdd and things off after 30 minutes(put it to sleep). Just go in there and change all the sleep things to never, or set them to 0 minutes. After you select your new plan, make sure your screensaver is on as well.

6 more replies
Relevance 56.58%

I have the latest 3.61 Power Manager installed in my T420.  I have deleted all the custom old power plans and recreated a new one from scratch.  However I notice at times from going to the dock, or removing from the dock or powering it via AC adapter or not, I dont know exactly when but it just randomly changes the Power Plan.  I go to Power Manager and notice no Power Plan is selected (nothing highlighted on the left when in Advanced mode). If I go to the Power Options in Windows Control Panel I notice that its somehow on a different plan, just now I noticed its on "High Performance".  Not sure how that happens. Is there something I need to do to have it sit on my custom plan that I have selected in Power Manager at ALL time and never change?  I cant delete these default plans that are in the Power Manager like Video Playback, Timers Off, Power Source Optimized, Maximum Battery Life.  I just want it to stay on a selected plan and never deviate from it as I have custom display brightness, sleep times, etc. Dixit

Answer:Power Plan in Power Manager keeps changing by itself

Try switching to the appropriate power profile using the Windows Power Options when this happens instead. Sometimes Windows stores a different profile from Power Manager, and overrides it.

3 more replies
Relevance 56.58%

Hi,

I run Windows 7 (64-bit) on my laptop.

My laptop no longer gives me warnings when the battery is about to run out. I have been through the control panel settings, and the power warning is set to be on already in all power plans. What should I look to do next?

Also, today I noticed a new power plan - CyberLink Power Management - has appeared in my power plan options. This is not something I knowingly installed onto my computer. I have recently installed some Windows Updates, so I'm wondering could it be from one of them? Alternately, should I be worried about malware/etc?

Answer:Power Warnings/New Power Plan - Update or Something I don't want?

6 more replies
Relevance 56.58%

I prefer to manually power down the monitor rather than rely on the "Turn off the display" setting in Power Plan Settings. Is there a major difference? Good, Bad, Ugly, das macht nichts? Any critical concerns I need be aware of?

-thx

Answer:Monitor Power Off vs Display Off via Power Plan

I don't know of any G/B/U. What ever way you choose.

I personally turn power off to my computer and everything plugged into it after a proper shut down.

5 more replies
Relevance 55.76%

Hi, I wonder if somebody knows a solution to my issue. I activated a power agenda to start each single day with a certain setting. Now I wanted to stop the power agenda by deleting it from the list. Now the list is empty, none of the power agendas will shop up. So I cannot delete the power agenda anymore. Did somebody have the same issue and how did you solve the issue of  - unhiding the power agendas again?  - manually delete the power agendas in case there is no 'unhide'? What could be the reason of hiding the power agendas at all? Thanks you

More replies
Relevance 55.35%

Hi,I have tried two batteries.Checking the Battery  Icon on Thinkpad it  reports 88% ChargingSometimes it fails to boot up then I have to remove battery and press power button while applying the mains adaptor.Any suggestionsThank You 

More replies
Relevance 54.94%
Question: Power Plan

Hi,
I have a Hp 430 Laptop.
I installed Windows 8 Everything Fine till I installed Hp Power Manager now Hp power manager is not compaitable so i uninstalled it.

The problem is I cant see any of the power option listed anymore.
I have tried reinstalling and uninstalling Hp PPM many times with Revo but nothing seems to work
Using powercfg /l in cmd still list 3 plans any way I can get these Back.

Answer:Power Plan

Update I can create any new plans as well
This this what is shown in cmd when i run powercfg /L

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]
© 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg /l

Existing Power Schemes (* Active)
-----------------------------------
Power Scheme GUID: 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e *
Power Scheme GUID: 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c (High performance)
Power Scheme GUID: a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a (Power saver)

powercfg /restoredefaultschemes is not working tooo

4 more replies
Relevance 54.94%
Question: Power plan?

Any changes you expert would recommend to the screenshots.

Thanks.

Answer:Power plan?

Here is a tutorial by Brink with this quote

Quote:
Make changes to the power plan settings below to suite your needs. (See screenshots below)

Power Plan Settings - Change

There are also many more tutorial links under Related Tutorials

6 more replies
Relevance 54.94%

so i tried changing power plan settings in one user and its changed in the other user
how to let power plan have a separate one for each user

using windows 7 home premium or ultimate

also chose what the power button does settings deferent for each user

Answer:how to let power plan do this

Hi, Welcome to Seven forums.

Unfortunately, this cannot be accomplished. It is by design.
However you may search the internet for third party tool to change the power plan automatically.

3 more replies
Relevance 54.94%

As title suggests, what power plan do you normally use on Windows 8? Do you switch between power plans depending on the situation at hand?

I run Balanced most of the time, since my AMD CPU has Cool'N'Quiet technology, then switch over to High Performance when gaming.

Answer:What Power Plan do you use?

I start with balanced, but I customize for my needs. I don't let it sleep or power down the hard drives or hibernate, and I tweak the monitor poweroff settings. Other than that, I leave it as is.

6 more replies
Relevance 54.94%

As title suggests, what power plan do you normally use on Windows 8? Do you switch between power plans depending on the situation at hand?

I run Balanced most of the time, since my AMD CPU has Cool'N'Quiet technology, then switch over to High Performance when gaming.

Answer:What Power Plan do you use?

I start with balanced, but I customize for my needs. I don't let it sleep or power down the hard drives or hibernate, and I tweak the monitor poweroff settings. Other than that, I leave it as is.

6 more replies
Relevance 54.94%
Question: Power Plan gone

A few months ago I purchased a Teclast X98 Air 3G tablet.
The tablet worked fine and the huge battery power was a breeze to work with.
Always loaded to the full 100%, I could use the tablet for nearly 8 hours.

Until 2 weeks ago, when Windows 10 installed an update.
Now, the tablet will not load the battery more than 50%.
Nothing broken, but the Windows "Power Settings" menu gives only 1 option.
"Balanced"
All the other options are gone.
There is an option to create a "New Power plan", but this option does not allow to change the battery charge level.

Can I get my old battery charge back?

TIA

More replies
Relevance 54.94%
Question: Power Plan gone

A few months ago I purchased a Teclast X98 Air 3G tablet.
The tablet worked fine and the huge battery power was a breeze to work with.
Always loaded to the full 100%, I could use the tablet for nearly 8 hours.

Until 2 weeks ago, when Windows 10 installed an update.
Now, the tablet will not load the battery more than 50%.
Nothing broken, but the Windows "Power Settings" menu gives only 1 option.
"Balanced"
All the other options are gone.
There is an option to create a "New Power plan", but this option does not allow to change the battery charge level.

Can I get my old battery charge back?

TIA

More replies
Relevance 54.94%
Question: Power plan

a)I change advanced power option too <<turn off hard disk never>> is that ok?
b)When i try to open my other hard disks E: and F: i get that loading thing,is that normal?
c)If i download something and set the computer to sleep mode the download it will continue or is stop?

Answer:Power plan

Quote: Originally Posted by panais

a)I change advanced power option too <<turn off hard disk never>> is that ok?
b)When i try to open my other hard disks E: and F: i get that loading thing,is that normal?
c)If i download something and set the computer to sleep mode the download it will continue or is stop?

A ok but will wear out hd faster
b if you mean the green line that is the index and normal
c-Will stop unless configured properly.

ken j

5 more replies
Relevance 54.53%

Hi! T420 touchpad dies and trackpoint keeps on working. Sometimes after some time the trackpoint may also die. After boot, touchpad & trackpad recovers and is working maybe for an hour, or a day. Then it reoccurs. This happens randomly on some T420's, while other T420's doesnt encounter it never-ever. Any tips how to troubleshoot this one? Ran Lenovo PC Doctor and everything is fine, also cant find anything suspicious in Windows logs. Thanks in advance! 

Answer:T420 touchpad dies randomly

Hi eskoj

Try to run System Update and update all BIOS and drivers to see if the problems persist.
Happy 2012! 
PeterW520 (4284-A99)
Does someone?s post help you? Give them kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve | Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future 
=====================================
Sound Enthusiast and Enhancement (Post comments, share mixes, etc.)
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion/Dolby-Home-Theater-v4-for-most-Lenovo-Laptops/td-p/62...

2 more replies
Relevance 54.12%

Can some one PLEASE help
Ok, so i just got a new labtop with vista and everything was working great. Im not sure what i did, but i can't modify my power settings. When i try to change my power plan settings it says that my power plan info isnt available. I then go to the FAQ part and it says
"If your computer is part of a network at an organization—such as a school, government agency, or business—your organization's system administrator might have made certain settings unavailable or even removed them by using Group Policy. Group Policy is a feature of Windows that lets system administrators manage users' access to Windows features.
If you think that Group Policy is preventing you from changing a setting that you need to access, contact your system administrator."

I have NO idea what this means.. this is my personal computer and is not part of any newtworks. I then tried to change my account type to "standard user" so i could fix the problem, but my computer won't let me. I even created a new user account and made that one a standard user but it didn't fix the probelm. How do i gain access to my power plan so i can modify it???

If anyone at all needs more info to solve the problem just ask and i'll do my best to help you.
Thanks

Answer:can't access power plan

Hello jesse14, welcome to Vista forums!

The first place to start would be to have a look at this tutorial at the link below.

System Restore - How to

Just restore to a date before the problem occurred.

Keep us informed!

Later Ted

6 more replies
Relevance 54.12%

Hi,

I'm running Win7Pro 64bit in a Tecra R840 laptop. My power planning regarding LCD brightness is 40% if running on batery and 100% if plugged in.

The problem is that, for some reason, I can't keep these settings and Windows (?) change it to 40% on batery and plugged in. Example: I change settings to 100% if plugged in (and my laptop is plugged in). The brightnes is at 100%. Then I shut down and start with batery. Brightness is 40%. Everything ok until now...but if I plugged in again the brightness will stay at 40% and if I go to power options I can see that the plugged in option changed to 40%!!!!

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,
paulo

Answer:Power plan - do not keep settings!

Do you click Save Settings after changing them?

If you run HD Tune it will mess with power settings.

4 more replies
Relevance 54.12%

under power plan (maximum performance) I'm choosing under (closing the lid)  "do nothing" I then click on "apply"  and then click on "Ok" When returning to see if the changes were saved the "sleep"  is still there/. OK I give.   Can someone recommend a power plan I can download and then get rid of this POS? Thanks

Answer:changes to power plan won't save

Try uninstalling Power Manager. It might be enforcing something it shouldn't.

6 more replies
Relevance 54.12%

Many of the guides on this forum recommend setting the Vista power plan to "High Performance".

After some research, I've found that the Balanced Power Plan is equal, if not better, in performance while also saving power.

Instead of copy everything over to this thread, I recommend you read my info here:

Power Plan Controversy - Notebook Forums and Laptop Discussion

Please feel free to post your comments.

Thanks

Answer:Power Plan Controversy

Benchmarking is a controversial matter in itself. Benchmarking tests should not be taken without a grain of salt. Not to mention that this person writes himself that the difference between High Performance and Balanced is not supposed to be a significant one as far as performance goes, rather Balanced is supposed to preserve battery life over time.

Personally, I like to tweak everything and anything I can on my computer, so power plans was one of the first things I touched. I noticed that one of the biggest factors in the battery life and performance was the minimum and maximum CPU level % (and screen brightness on laptops, but I have keyboard keys to change that). I personally made all the power plans conserve power whenever possible, and added some additional plans for different uses. I currently have six power plans, and I switch between them all the time (I have shortcuts for each of them).

If you really worry about the power plan of your computer - go look at the advanced settings of your power plans. You shouldn't rely on a standard power plan that comes built in with the OS.

Other than that, I believe there are too many factors to consider when trying to measure power plans' performance - the different values of the plans and the use of the computer.

5 more replies
Relevance 54.12%

I have selected the recommended "Balanced" power plan, and when the battery is 100% charged I'm only getting less than 4 hoursdisplayed at the bottom of the screen.I have the EDGE 11 with 6 cell battery and I3 cpu.Is this normal for this model ? is there a better power plan for normal day to day use ?  

Answer:Choosing the right power plan

Hello mate, You can put it in maximum battery life if you want to have more autonomy.WiFi uses a lot of battery as well as screen Brightness try to keep it as low as possible. Bluetooth uses a lot as well.

__________________________________________________________________________________Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information on it.ThinkPad T510 4313-CTO Windows 8 x64 - Intel Core i7-620M - NVIDIA NVS 3100M - 8GB RAM - 240GB SSD- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 - Gobi 2000.ThinkPad Helix 3697-CTO Windows 8.1 x64 - Intel Core i7-3667U - Intel HD Graphics 4000 - 8GB RAM- 256GB SSD - Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 - Ericsson C5621gw

5 more replies
Relevance 54.12%
Question: Power Plan issue?

Hi GuysNot sure if this is one of my powerplans which is causing this issue?If i am using the laptop without being plugged into the mains, after a certain amount of time the screen light will diminish - i assume to save power - can i change it so it does not alter the light of the screen?Thanks

Answer:Power Plan issue?

Any advice would be appreciated!

1 more replies
Relevance 54.12%

Recently got Windows 7 machine and gradually getting it to the way I want it.
However the balanced power plan which was fine at the start has ceased to work. All options appear available but selecting a change and saving produces no change to the actual performance of the PC - it simply keeps going.

Is this a known issue with 7? Any advice will be appreciated.

Answer:Power Plan not functioning

The factory preinstall may have added to the Power Plan to cause it to malfunction. All of the factory bloatware and useless utilities burden Win7 from being the featherlight, instantaneous OS it is meant to be.

Try running SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker to see if it needs repairing.

If that fails, consider a Repair Install by finding an installer for your version to copy, or to unlock all versions. If you have SP1 you'll need to slipstream SP1 into the ISO using this method: Slipstream Windows 7 SP1 into a Installation DVD or ISO File

I have good results running Repair Install on even the most bloated factory preinstalls, however you might want to consider if you find an installer getting the best perfromance out of Win7 by clean reintsalling without the factory bloatware and useless factory Utilities which have better versions built into Win7: re-install windows 7

3 more replies
Relevance 54.12%

Under the Control panel; Power Options there are three settings = Balanced, Power Saver, or High Performance. Which setting do most of you have it on ?? I am mainly a Gamer, and system is in my signature. Thank's

Answer:Vista64 which power plan do you all run ??

High Performance, because when my computer is on, I'm using it. I don't bother with sleep mode or anything like that.

7 more replies
Relevance 54.12%
Question: Power Options Plan

Hi Guys, usually we all have balanced power plan. But what if I choose high Performance and than go in advance setting then I set all values as balanced. What will happen and how will that power plan will effect? I am asking in balanced I feel my pc sluggish. but in high performance it work well. so I am thinking as hybrid plan of balanced and high performance.

Answer:Power Options Plan

Hello PressF5, and welcome to Ten Forums.

Basically, all the default power plans have the same settings. They are just each preset to be optimized for the namesake of the power plan.

You can set your active power plan however you want for your needs.

If you like, here's a list of options to help improve the performance of Windows 10.

Optimize Performance of Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

0 more replies
Relevance 54.12%

This only started happening after I upgraded motherboard, CPU and clean installed Win 10. I have always set the power plan to performance. Every boot or restart, the plan will revert back to the balance plan. I can't find any settings that would do this. I even created a plan and again reverted back to balance at reboot.

More replies
Relevance 54.12%

hi all,
i just recently noticed that my laptop does not have a 'balanced' power plan. It only has: 'HP optimized, high performance and power saver'. Does anyone know why 'balanced' isn't available?

Answer:no balanced power plan

Quote: Originally Posted by pain55

hi all,
i just recently noticed that my laptop does not have a 'balanced' power plan. It only has: 'HP optimized, high performance and power saver'. Does anyone know why 'balanced' isn't available?

HP replaced it with its own.

3 more replies
Relevance 54.12%

As the title suggests, is it possible?
My brother favors to choose Shut down when I close the Lid, whereas I prefer Sleep mode.If I change, it changes for my brother's account also.I do not want this.I suspect there might be something useful in Group policy>user configuration but I am not sure.If anyone guides me for this, I would really appreciate.

Answer:Different power plan for different users

As far as I know it is not possible to do this. All you can do is create 2 Custom Power plans and save them but you have to remember to activate the one you want after you login in. The group policy editor only allows you to change the power options/plans for all users.

1 more replies
Relevance 54.12%

I am not sure if this showed up after SP1 or IE9 since I pretty installed the at the same time, but towards the bottom it not says Internet Explorer, expand the + button and you get Java Script Timer Frequency.

What made me aware of this is that when I woke up this morning my laptop was shitdown and the battery was at 5%. It should have been sleeping like a baby all night like it usually does. Now I have a laptop that's been up all night and it;s going to be a bitch all day to deal with

Anyone else notice this?

Answer:New Feature In The Power Plan.

I am not quite sure what you are talking about? Do you mean a plus button on IE9? The only one I see is the one which changes the zoom level.??

8 more replies
Relevance 54.12%

My problems is that I can NOT seem to get any of the Power Plans to stay active after I restart the PC. The settings remain active after I set them e.g. screen off after 2 hours...Hard Disk to sleep after 2 hours.. Once I turn off the PC it reverts to the system default.
I am running a new Asus Formula Extreme VI Z87 + the New Haswell i7 4770K with Windows 8 Pro 64 bit..
I have checked for problem files, there are none..I am set up as the administrator.
Is there a setting in the Asus UEFI that can be causing this? Any help would be great

Answer:Power Plan is Windows 8 Pro

Boot into Setup (UEFI Bios) Go to the Extreme Tweaker tab/Overclocking Presets/CPU Power Management

3 more replies
Relevance 54.12%

It's been 5 days since this annoying bug started, i can't watch even an 11 minute long video without even standing to move the mouse or press a key to turn on the monitor, why? Because my monitor keeps turning off every 10 minutes when i'm idle even when i'm playing videos. I changed the power plan setting "Turn off the display" in 1 minute, but it never works, i tried changing it to an hour but still persist to turning off every 10 minutes or so. I also tried changing almost everything in the advance settings and yet nothing happens. There are no screen savers on and i also tried command lines to change them and also removing the usb mouse and keyboard. Has anyone experienced this before? would appreciate the help, i tried almost everything i see on google already.

Answer:Power Plan changes not applying.

Welcome to the forums neofury!

Excuse me for asking this, but you are clicking "save" when you finish, correct? Also what power plan are you using?

Have you tried using the Powercfg.exe tool? Set the plan/settings you want then click Start > All Programs > Accessories. Right click on Command Prompt and Run as administrator. When the command box/window comes up type Powercfg -setactive Scheme_GUID and press enter.

Hope this helps.

1 more replies
Relevance 54.12%

When I try to change my Power Plan settings in Win 7 64 bit, I come up with "Your power plan information isn't available." Can anyone suggest how to get round this, please?
Thanks
John

Answer:Windows 7 Power Plan

Just type power plan in the start box and click on power plan and choose what settings that you want.
That's how it works for me using 64Bit version.

5 more replies
Relevance 54.12%

I follow this tutorial Reset and Restore Power Plans in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

but im still cant see my power plans

i put this command on cmd powercfg -restoredefaultschemes and happens this
please help me

Answer:Your power plan information isn't available .... please help me

Hi, how are you trying to view your power plans?

What do you see in the control panel...:
Please post a screenshot like that (use Insert Image, the button to the left of the video icon above your post).

0 more replies
Relevance 54.12%
Question: power plan problem

hi, everyone,

I am sort a newbie, and I joined the forum just recently. I need help with what I think is a Vista problem.

I just installed Vista CR 1 on a Intel Pentium D 3.00GHz computer, with a new Maxtor Hard drive. (No previous OS installed.)

With 30 min of inactivity, the computer goes to sleep, even if I change all the power plans (balanced, power saver and high performance). I even tried to put all on 'never put computer to sleep' option, to no avail. Every time I come back to the computer, there's the dark screen again, with the hard disk light blinking once every second!

In addition, I have to restart the computer with the front reset button, sometimes twice, because it won't wake up with any keystroke! Any suggestions?

-Stockrad

Answer:power plan problem

Having the same problem. Turned sleep option off on both hard drive and monitor.

2 more replies
Relevance 54.12%
Question: Export power plan

Hi there,I allready googled half an hour but I can't seem to find how I can export a power plan in wondows 7. I'd like to be able to export my current (modified) powerplan in order to import it on a few diffirent pc's.Does anyone know how I can do this efficiently?Thanks in forward

Answer:Export power plan

I believe the answer is at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744398%28WS.10%29.aspx

2 more replies
Relevance 54.12%

Hello, i'm a T420 4180-PH1 owner, with Windows 7 pro 64 / UEFI On / SSD 60GB + UltraBay 500GB Sometimes, when i'm turning on my system with the Fingerprint Reader (it reads ok my print)  Windows NOT detect the Fingerprint reader device, and when i'm looking on dev. manager i find a "unknown device"  Could not load \Driver\WUDFRd for the device USB\VID_17EF&PID_1003\6&3a7196b4&0&5. I think that this is a internal USB HUB because when is not detected i get problems to detect USB devices.  Sorry for my english

More replies
Relevance 54.12%

Hello!My T420 have latest BIOS, latest Windows 10 updates and drivers, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS kernel and updates. Randomly my sound output is disappeared :Windows 10, there is a red cross on volume gauge, clicking on it calls standard wizard of resolving drivers problems, it's doing some magic and asks for reboot. After reboot all works fine, but after sleep, reboot or shutdown it occurs again.in Ubuntu in sound manager sound output reverts into fictive output, no sound, no volume meter, in lspci device list there is no intel hda output device. After several reset, it dissappears and also all works fine but again, same as in windows it can occurs again.Please help me, thanks in advance.

More replies
Relevance 54.12%

My T420 will turn on mute at random times.  Usually this happens when it a) powers on from the off state, b) wakes from sleep, c) wakes from hibernate, d) connects to bluetooth. I can always get the audio back by pressing the mute button to turn off the light (and turn on the audio), but I wonder why the computer thinks I want it to mute. 

Answer:T420 randomly decides to mute its audio

hey stealth420,uninstall the HotKey feature and then go here >>http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS014985download and reinstall

WW Social MediaImportant Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.

1 more replies
Relevance 53.71%

Hello, Because my laptop spends most of its time unplugged, I recently decided to simply leave the Lenovo Power Manager plan on "Maximum Battery Life", adjusting some of the AC settings to compensate. However, this appears to severely impact video playback performance in VLC media player when plugged in. One has to use a different power plan instead. I am, however, becoming increasingly concerned that these deeper settings cannot be accessed through the GUI. For instance, windows Aero is switched off when using battery on "Maximum Battery Life" but isn't on the other plans. I thus ask Lenovo to allow users access to these settings through their software in future updates.  William

Answer:Power Plan causing Video Lag

It's a bit of a Windows thing; certain Power Plans are rigged to disable Aero on battery. AFAIK, theres not much one can do about it except edit the settings on the plan and use that plan.As for media playback, can you try using MPC-HC? VLC isn't great about GPU acceleration, and GPU acceleration will help immensely with playback and power consumption.

5 more replies
Relevance 53.71%

I have a Dell M4400 laptop with Windows 7 (32 bit) installed (an update install over Vista). Everything works beautifully except the power plan maintenance. Anywhere within the power configuration section of the control panel, where the system will let you adjust any of the power plans results in the following error...

You're power plan information is not available

It is a dead end. There is, subsequently, no way to adjust any of the power settings. I have struggled with this for a few days with no luck. Thanks in advance for anyone that can shed some light on this.

Answer:[SOLVED] power plan information not available??

Hi. I have the very same problem. I am a newbie to this Forum. Did you get an answer?

6 more replies
Relevance 53.71%

I don't think this requires much background information, so here goes. For christmas I recieved an S205. Pretty much since then I've had a problem of my computer not being able to stay on the power plan I left it on. I like to use energy star, and then in the energy star menu I prefer to use the best battery health option. I've attached an imgur link to explain my dilemma. http://imgur.com/a/zVNTx I usually have my laptop plugged in, but I would like to utilize the energy star's "best battery health" tool/option.

Answer:S205 Not remembering power plan

Hi and welcome,
if you want to utuilize LEM Energy Star you have to do this way Energymanagement .
Dont forget to click "apply"  ... if you to change something general  . OK is for now..

regards KalvinKlein

1 more replies
Relevance 53.71%

I know the basics of the power plans, but where can I go to read about the detailed settings? Example being the Passive and Active feature. My laptop has no fans and would like to educate myself on this. Then there are the different levels of active & passive....

Answer:Power Plan Details Needed

I'm not too knowledgeable but here's a link that may be able to answer your questions ;-)

Power plans: frequently asked questions

5 more replies
Relevance 53.71%

I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate with full Admin account and yet I'm unable to change my Active Power plan. I've tried adjusting the Group Policy along with Power CFG and still no results.. The command "powercfg -getsecuritydescriptor SCHEME_MIN" indicates that I should have full acces to adjust the power plan but I can't seem to access it via the power options..
Does anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks..Anthony

Answer:Windows Vista Power Plan

Does this help ...

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/articles/Windows/Vista_Power_Options/

7 more replies
Relevance 53.71%

I have this problem here:

and its not at all clear how to address it.
While poking around, I found the following in Device Manager:

which may, or may not, be related to the above problem. I disabled the Microsoft Composite Battery, as it was taking an error when enabled. Neither state affected the previous problem, however I might guess that fixing this might affect the original problem.
Any help you can provide, on either problem, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

More replies
Relevance 53.71%

I've got a fully updated Win 10 install that just does not want to do what is in the power plan - specifically, monitor does not shut down and computer is not put to sleep in the designated time periods.

Based on some searches, I made sure that my wireless adapter coulld be put to sleep in the Power Management tab in the Device Manager adapter. I also went through the rest of the device manager to see if there were any other peripherals that had that box unchecked.

Came across a suggestion to run a admin command prompt that checked integrity of update files - all good.

The monitor I am using is updated with the most recent drivers (first using the CD it came with to update the driver and also checking in Windows to see if it could find a more recent one).

Of course I also went through the power options toggling the times just so I can save it to make sure the options the stuck.

Oddlly, the user account will get kicked and the screen goes to the login screen after some time (long after the 10 min specified to turn off the monitor and the 20 or so min to put to sleep). Even on the login screen, it wont put the monitor to sleep much less put the computer to sleep.

Any help greatly appreciated (note this is a low end build for my mom not the computer to see in my sig).

More replies
Relevance 53.71%

If i change my power plan from "Balanced" to "High performance" Should my computer be faster in video converting and in games? Does it actually affect the performace of your computer enought for you to notice it.?

Answer:Does power plan actually affect performance lvl?

Quote: Originally Posted by imeem

If i change my power plan from "Balanced" to "High performance" Should my computer be faster in video converting and in games? Does it actually affect the performace of your computer enought for you to notice it.?

It should. By a barely noticeable amount. benchmark it on balanced then on high and note the difference.

Ken

9 more replies
Relevance 53.71%

Hi ,
i cant be able to change default power plan (that will active on startup). I select a custom power plan but when restart it starts with [Balanced (Recommended)]. Can i change this ?

Answer:Changing Default Power Plan

Once you change the power plan, are you clicking on save?

5 more replies
Relevance 53.71%

I was on a balanced power plan on my laptop while streaming on Netflix from my xbox. I couldn't get on any site on the laptop but I was able to use my iphone.

On a hunch I switched to high performance and it works. Not sure if there is a relationship between power and the wifi on my laptop.

Answer:Power Plan Affecting WiFI?

go into advanced setting of your power plan - it may allow your wifi to turn off to save power

1 more replies
Relevance 53.71%

I have a Dell XPS 13 and the F3 button has a battery sign on it. Pressing it brings up some battery meter property which does not really help as a day-to-day shortcut. Is there any way I can change that to toggling between two of my Power Plans ("Power Saving, High Performance") each time I press?

Answer:Switching Power Plan Shortcut

Hello Fridmund, and welcome to Eight Forums.

The tutorial below can help show you how to create shortcuts that will change the power plan to what you like. It's the same in Windows 8.

Power Plan - Create Shortcut to Change Power Plan - Windows 7 Help Forums

Hope this helps,
Shawn

6 more replies
Relevance 53.71%

Hi so is there any way to remove old not needed advanced entries in the windows 8.1 power plan settings. here is a picture of what i'm talking about. highlighted in red is what i don't need anymore any way to remove it?.

Answer:how to remove entry's in win 8.1 power plan

Hey Tony,

The "AlienFX" power option in your screenshot is one added by the OEM for your Dell Alienware.

If you can export and upload your registry key below, I'll be happy to take a look at it to see which entry may be for this, and create a .reg file that'll remove it for you.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings

8 more replies
Relevance 53.71%

When opening the Power Plan flyout via the battery icon, all options are greyed out. I am informed that "Some settings are managed by [my] system administrator." When continuing to the Power Control Panel via the flyout or through Control Panel, I can view the Power Plans that have been installed, but all are greyed and unavailable to me.
To me, this is several things at once. You may pick and choose from the following options as to how you may feel: Confusing.Annoying.Typical of Microsoft.
I am confused because I have one user account. It is therefore an administrator account. Also, I am using Home Premium. There is by default no Group Policy Editor, so how did something become enabled via Group Policy (according to Windows Help)?
This is as annoying because I am stuck in High Performance and can only adjust brightness. It is about as annoying and confusing as the "Run As Administrator" option even being an option while logged in on an administrator level account. When a tutorial, walkthrough or some set of instructions tells you to "Run As Administrator", is it necessary even when on an admin account? If it is necessary, Why?
#3 should be self explanatory.
Tried the Default Scheme Restore via powercfg.exe. The only change was reverting all settings of the 3 default plans to their default state (duh) and deleting the custom plans I had created. The issue remains; however, now I am stuck with the default plans in their default state (which... Read more

Answer:Unable to change Power Plan

These are not the default Windows 7 settings Maybe some installed software made the changes without your knowing.
Please see if running this Power Troubleshooter helps you.

7 more replies
Relevance 53.71%

Hello, I've reinstalled windows vista in my Inspiron 1525. But I noticed that the power plan running is not dell recommended. Is there any option to get back the power plan? Can anyone help me? Please sdg

Answer:How can I reinstall dell power plan?

Apparently not.

1 more replies
Relevance 53.71%

Hi,

I use the Power saver plan to conserve battery and when I unplugg the ac cord the fans power down and my pc is wonderfully quiet.

How do I activate this even though I?m plugged in? I tried to change advanced powersettings and using the same settings wether plugged in or not?!

Can someone help with this?

Regards
Adam

Answer:I want to use power plan unplugged all the time

Welcome to SevenForums!

You can not modify this setting by tweaking windows, this is the reaction of the laptop itself which was put together in the factory and windows can not give you a control over everything like it does with the existing options.
I am sorry to tell you.

Keep it up

5 more replies
Relevance 53.71%

Hi I was wondering if anyone knew a way to set up Windows 7 to be on one power plan while on battery but then switch to another automatically while on external power? Other than switching them manually.

Answer:Windows 7 power plan switching

There already is a feature. In Power Options, Edit Plan Settings.

Looks like so:

That help?

2 more replies
Relevance 53.71%

My only option is balanced plan, cannot find any option for high performance or any other plan in the advanced setting. Are any other plans available or is that it on this model.

More replies
Relevance 53.71%

Hey guys, I was just wondering if it's possible to make your theme change when you change your power plan. For example, when I'm at home I prefer my laptop to be on "High performance" with the Aero theme enabled, whereas when I'm at college I prefer it to be on "Power saver" with the basic theme enabled, so that my graphics card is not rendering the windows.Thanks in advance!

More replies
Relevance 53.71%

Hi,

Are these the correct defaults for Balanced Power Plan as shown in the attached shots?

Thanks.

Answer:Balanced Active Power Plan?

Those are the settings that I see when I click on the link named "Restore default setting for this plan".

So, I guess the answer to your question is: yes.

9 more replies
Relevance 53.71%

Hi folks, I'm looking for some help with a minor annoyance. I often find myself working with my laptop, plugged into AC power, finishing my session with a hibernate (my default action after closing the lid) then waking it up on battery power. In this situation, i can tell that once the lappy comes out of hibernate, the power plan still thinks the computer is plugged in (biased on screen brightness, processor load, ect.) I can fix it easily by toggling between power plans in my system tray, but it's still annoying. Anyone have an automatic fix?

Cheers.

Answer:Power Plan Issue After Hibernate

Welcome to the Seven Forums!

Check to see that your video drivers are up to date. They control much of the sleep/hibernation process.

6 more replies
Relevance 53.71%

Hi all, I recently recieved a T400 and I have a question about the power plans. This is my first laptop and I'm confused about the power plans. Now, this unit sits in a replicator most of the time. I have my monitor,mouse and keyboard connected to the station. I've been having problems getting it to shut down completely so I can remove it from the station when I want. The light on the station stays red. I think the problem lies in the power scheme. Can someone tell me how I should have the power buttons set? the lid is closed when it's in the station and this is why I'm confused as to how to have the settings made. It's also using ac power when it's in the station.When I press the power button? Which settings?When I press the sleep button?When I close the lid?I appreciate any help here!......thanks!  Well, I guess no one knows an answer to my question.....thanks anywayMessage Edited by OK_to_Point on 01-22-2009 02:12 PM

More replies
Relevance 53.71%

Hi

How are you I hope you all good

I want to show more than 2 power plan in windows 7

I saw pic on internet that have 3 power plan

How to edit and show all power plans in windows 7

I mean I want to show Balanced & power saver and high performance

not show 2 only for example balanced & high performance

Answer:Show more than 2 power plan in windows 7

Hi go to control panel power options and under the last option look for show additional plans click on the words

5 more replies
Relevance 53.71%

Hi,I got ThinkPad T450s and installed Windows 8.1 from my MSDN subscription (not from recovery partition).Now my battery life is very short.. about 3hours so I thought lenovo's power plan would help but I don't see it in the list of available power plans (only standard high performance, balanced and power saver are available). I installed Power Management Driver for T450s but it didn't help.I think what I need is to install Lenovo Power Manager but I can only find one for Windows 7:https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t4... Where can I find Power Manager for Windows 8.1 or is there any other way to get Lenovo's Power Plan added to my machine? Thanks! 

Solved!

Go to Solution.

Answer:How to get Lenovo's Power Plan on Windows 8.1

Hi Torin,

Welcome to Lenovo Community!

There is no ThinkVantage Power Manager for Windows 8 & Windows 8.1.
Power Plans and idle timers are managed by the OS itself.
Lenovo-specific power options like Battery Stretch and 30-Day Standby can be configured in Lenovo Settings.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Hemanth Kumar

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

7 more replies
Relevance 53.71%

If it possible to change your power plan autmatically when your cpu gets hot with a command line exe?

More replies
Relevance 53.71%

Always get a message "Your power plan information isn't available". I can change the plan (normal one is Balanced) and I can see it change (radio buttons that is), but I can never look at any plan itself. System is shutting off the monitor (video that is) and there is no way to change the timing since I can't see the plan. I can even add a custom plan (again can't change values) and it will be the default. I regedit and see all of the three plans and their (guid) and it matches exactly what MS says the default values should be in all three normal plans. I can even reset the plans to their original using powercfg and I know this works since this deletes my custom plan and only the three main plans (Balanced, High Performance, and Power Saver) are there with exactly what MS states. I just can't display and change any plan. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am stumped!!! PS: I can get the monitor back on by hitting any key. i am just puzzled why my system will not display the power plan information. It IS there.

Answer:Trying to change Power Plan details

Hello 1OldTech, welcome to sevenforums.

Can you please post a screen shot of your Power settings?

Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums

1 more replies
Relevance 53.71%

Hi,
I want to change "Lid close action" when "Plugged In" for "Quiet (Reduced Fan Levels)' power plan. But setting is greyed.

How can i do this ?

Thanks

More replies
Relevance 53.71%

For some reason my windows 10 pro high performance power plan is not sticking when chosen after a reboot or shutdown.It did before.A bunch of windows updates were installed last night that might of done it.My version is Win 10 pro 1607 14393.2007.I noticed restore plan defaults are greyed out in balanced and performance advanced settings.Any ideas on what to look for.

More replies
Relevance 53.71%

Hi There,
I'm using Windows7 pro 64bit, I've a problem with power plan setting, when the display off there's a weird sound on my CPU (clicking noise). This sound only appear when display off from power plan for just 1-2 minutes.
Fyi:
1. Windows7 and all of device drivers are up to date.
2. If I choose power plan to balance, sleep mode doesn't work, when I choose Power Saver, sleep mode is working but my pc performance is very slow.
This is the sound, (the noise on the background is sound of my cpu fan): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B57MVW9l891IWHhUdU92QnNjYkE/view?usp=sharing
Does anyone know what sound is this?
Thank you :)
*Edit: 
Fyi, my hard drive is Caviar Black (bought it a couple months ago), no bad sector, tested with HDDtune, HDDsentinel, s.m.a.r.t, the result is excellent.
Btw, I'm so sorry if my grammar irritating.

More replies
Relevance 53.71%

First, hope this is the right forum to post this issue .....

Has anyone had any luck seeting up one power plan that will successfully hibernate on a set time-out when you are running on batteries, and sleep on a set time-out if you are running on wall power. When I try setting up a plan that way at some point it will not seem to ever hibernate. I have followed the power plan tutorials herein (which are detailed and quite helpful) I think pretty much to the T.

To make my system hibernate consustently on a time-out it seems that I have to have it hibernate when on batteries, and hibernate when on wall power( which I prefer it to sleep). You can't have it do both (hibernate from batteries, and sleep if you are on wall power). At least that seems to be the case with my inconsistent power plan performance.

Hopefully I have explained this so it makes sense.

Answer:Hibernation and Sleep Within a Power Plan

Do both sleep and hibernate appear in the Advanced power options lists for your laptop?

Try setting sleep at one minute and hibernate at 3 minutes to test both modes.

If either fail to appear then it is a graphics driver issue.

if they fail to trigger then it can be many things, first suspect is wake timers in Power Mgmt. tab of mouse and keyboard drivers.

3 more replies
Relevance 53.71%

For some reason my windows 10 pro high performance power plan is not sticking when chosen after a reboot or shutdown.It did before.A bunch of windows updates were installed last night that might of done it.My version is Win 10 pro 1607 14393.2007.I noticed restore plan defaults are greyed out in balanced and performance advanced settings.Any ideas on what to look for.

Answer:Power Plan not Saving after Reboot

Please follow instructions at below link to configure power setting from local group policy editor.

Specify a custom active power plan and force Windows to use it

more replies
Relevance 53.71%

Hi can anyone help with this?

Had to do a rebuild on my pc, before rebuild, on power settings option I could set timeout for screen and put the computer to sleep.

After the rebuild Put the computer to sleep is greyed out and will take no changes.

PC is on a domain, I am an admin, yet it keeps saying it may be a group policy, but Dammit I'm an admin..... Any suggestions?
Thx

Answer:Power saving plan problem

Hi, this is usually because you need to update your chipset drivers for your motherboard. A clean install of windows doesn't always provide drivers that exploit the full capability of the hardware. I had a Desktop unit that showed this exact same behaviour after a fresh install of Xp. Just needed to go to the mobo manufacturers website to get the drivers.

Windows update might find them automatically - worth a go.

Cheers

6 more replies
Relevance 53.71%

I'd like to ask for help since I don?t know how to fix this.

I had a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium on my Laptop 1 week ago, and I never had trouble with the Power Options on my previous Windows Vista Home Premium.

Whenever I put the display brightness of Balanced on 75% (plugged in) it always reverts back to 25% whenever I restart my laptop.

Here's a screenshot before the restart:
Here?s a screenshot after the restart:
I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong section.
I hope there is a solution for this,

Thanks in advance!

Answer:Power Plan resets back

Carmine

Are you 32bit or 64?
Ken J+

9 more replies
Relevance 53.71%

Is there a way to get my laptop running Win 7 Professional to automatically select Power Saver when running on batteries, and High Performance when plugged in?

Yes, free app call Power Plan Assistant: Power Plan Assistant for Windows? 7 - Features and Benefits

Right click on the tray icon after install and select the options you want for which power plan to select when plugging into A/C and which you want when unplugging A/C.

Answer:Automatic power plan selection

Can't you do the same thing with a one time change in Control Panel, Power Options, Change Plan Settings, Change Advanced Settings?

3 more replies
Relevance 53.71%

What are the affects of the different options of Intel graphics power plan in the Power Manager? My E530 doesnt have switchable graphics so would it still have any effects on my computer?

Answer:What does Intel graphics power plan do?

I would say that the Intel Graphics won't be that competitive if you choose the energy saving method. I think it's very clear, or isn't it?

[email protected]O: WE WANT BIOS TO COMPLY WITH ACPI STANDARDS!

1 more replies
Relevance 53.71%

Is there a way to get Vista to automatically change power setting plans depending whether a laptop is on mains or battery?

I want to run mine on high performance when plugged in but on balanced when using the battery. I know I can manually change which plan to use, but surely there must be a way to get Vista to recognise which power supply it is using and change settings accordingly.

Answer:Automatic power plan change?

Normally, it is done automatically!

5 more replies
Relevance 53.71%

Hello,

My computer always open in Standard Power Plan.
I want it always open with High Performance Power Plan.
How can I do this?
I mean can I change my computer settings to start with High Performance automatically at every restart?

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Answer:Changing the Default Power Plan

Hi,

Once you change the a required power plan it stays as the default until you choose to change it again. I would suggest you change to High Performance then reboot the machine to see if the changes have been permanent.

OS

3 more replies
Relevance 53.71%

Hi and thanks in advance if anyone wishes to offer their advice.The power plan on my Win 7 64-bit will not change. It goes through the motions but somehow it doesn't, and every 20 minutes, if no inputs have been used (ie, no mouse or keyboard) - such as when we watch a movie - everything stops. I wouldn't think it's quite going to sleep because just a nudge of the mouse will bring it back, but something like that. Any ideas anyone?

Answer:Power Plan turns off Win 7 after 20 minutes

It sounds like it is not power settings but display settings. Your monitor is powering down, not your hard drive and not hibernation. Just reset to 'never'.You have to be a little bit crazy to keep you from going insane.If all else fails, read instructions.

6 more replies
Relevance 53.71%

HiI've only had my X220 (IPS screen) for a few months now but during normal use the screen goes dim ( setting 3) for a few seconds and then gradually goes back to normal brightness (7). Why does this happen?Cheers   

ThinkPad X220i7-2620MCorsair Neutron GTX SSD 480gb8gb Crucial RAMIPS 12.5 3x3 displayIntel Ultimate N6300 wifi9 cell batterybluetoothFingerprint readerWin 7 Pro 64 bit

Answer:X220 IPS screen goes dim randomly

Does the on-screen display show the brightness numbers? If it does, then I find it confusing, and there might be some software bug going on. If not, wouldn't it just be the Power Manager software dimming the screen after some idle time?

5 more replies
Relevance 53.71%

As title said. What might be the problem for this issue. Or am I a unlucky person who got a defected product. I still have 90 days of international warranty left. What should I do about this issue. BTW I bought the laptop at Hongkong, not USA. Laptop randomly restart sometime, sometime, restart many time a day, sometime it didnt.. I call up the service, they told me to run hardware check and software update, Which I did all. And it is still happen once a while. It is possible to exchange my laptop for another one?

Answer:X220 randomly restart at it own

.wow. No One is helping me.... I tho Thinkpads are high level product. guess they just like any other cheap laptop

3 more replies