Computer Support Forum

[ /noexecute=optin in/mint

Question: [ /noexecute=optin in/mint

every time i try for e recovery i get [ /noexecute=optin in/mint i press enter than same all the time cant get windows started

Relevance 100%
Preferred Solution: [ /noexecute=optin in/mint

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/download.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Answer: [ /noexecute=optin in/mint

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:12 PMPress F10 after powering up the machine, which should bring up an 'Edit Boot Options' screen.If it shows either of the following:[ /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /MININT[ /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN IN/MINThit backspace to remove them, leaving only the /noexecute=optin, then press Enter to continue and see if it starts normally. "The era of big government is over," said Clinton 1996

2 more replies
Relevance 102.5%
Question: /NOEXECUTE=optin

Can anyone tell me why this phrase is showing in the boot.ini file ahead of /fastdetect after a clean install of Windows XP Pro.

It doesn't matter whether I install from the Dell OEM CD I got with my computer or the retail version for refurbished pcs I purchased.

I expect the /NOEXECUTE=optin phrase if I've dual booted with XP and Linux but not on a fresh install.

The boot.ini should read:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

instead of:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=optin /fastdetect

after a clean install.

Answer:/NOEXECUTE=optin

Default Values

On Windows XP with SP2, the installation program adds /noexecute=optin to the boot entry.

On Windows Server 2003 with SP1, the installation program adds /noexecute=optout to the boot entry.

However, on all operating systems that support DEP, if the /noexecute parameter is not present in the boot options, the system behaves as though the setting is /noexecute=optin.Click to expand...

From: /noexecute (Windows Drivers)-msdn.microsoft.com.

2 more replies
Relevance 100.45%

What does this switch do in my Boot.ini? Quote/NoExecute=OptInFull path: Quotemulti(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Answer:Boot.Ini /NoExecute=OptIn switch

If I were to add /SOS as a switch, would that slow down my loading times?

9 more replies
Relevance 99.22%

The problem does not seem to cause any issues once booted, but the pc will not start up until i hit enter.

Every time i boot my pc i get a black screen that says:

Edit boot options: windows 7
path \windows\system32\winload.exe
partition: 3
hard disk: 97f097f0

[/Noexecute=optin]

I ran the recovery tool and brought everything back to factory settings, but that did not fix the problem.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Relevance 99.22%

My DV2500t continually reboots.  When I try to start in safe or any mode it loads the files and then still self reboots.  Bios settings look ok.  Recently had to replace HD with a 500gb drive.  Drive test was good, memory test good.  Won't mount.  Any ideas are appreciated!

Answer:/noexecute=optin dv2500 keeps auto-rebooting

@Mcry311, Thanks for your generous response and time.

Thanks for sharing the details.

I have checked the product specification of your PC, As I mentioned in my previous post you have to replace the part by using an HP recommended part number.

Please find the replacement part number for hard drive mentioned below.

588600-001HDD, 1TB,7.2K,HIT,JUPIT,SATA3.0,N

Also, I would suggest you try performing a recovery using recovery discs.

If you don't have one please order the set of recovery discs by contacting HP.

Link to contact HP.

Have a great day ahead!

Relevance 53.3%

Once again I find myself requiring the knowledgeable advice from pcadvisor helproom.
My hard drive failed on my Fujitsu Amilo L12727, My recovery disks failed so I have had to restore using the licence label on the laptop for Windows Vista Home. The installation and the drivers I downloaded from Fujitsu went well.
The problem is every time I start the laptop I get the following message on the screen:
Path: \Windows\System32\Winload.exe
Partition: 1
Hard Disk: b51bp3e0
[ /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN ]
If I press the enter key the operating system boots normally.
Can anyone help me get rid of this annoyance?
Thanks for all your support past and future
Will

Answer:NEXECUTE=OPTIN Help

Something here which provides an explanation and possible solution for you - enter link description here

Relevance 48.38%

So I deleted some folders in %appdata% and my computer desktop started to go black wherever I clicked. I went to reinstall windows and it wouldn't let me. So I tried re-installing windows using the recovery disk they gave me. About halfway through the process I get this error message. ATTEMPTED EXECUTE OF NOEXECUTE MEMORY. Please help guys I'm literally shaking so bad and don't know what to do this computer cost me so much money. *Is this fixable? Someone said its a ram problem after running memtest.
Specs: Intel i7 4790k (4x) OC'd 4.5 ghz CPUnVidia GeForce GTX 970 EVGA SC GPU
DDR3-2133 16gb RAM
Corsair Hydro Series H60 Liquid CPU Cooling
600w Corsair cx600 V2 - 80 Plus Bronze PSU
Gigabyte GA-Z97 MOBO
2 TB Hard Drive
Windows 8.1

Answer:attempted execute of noexecute memory

Does look like a RAM problem to me too. Is the RAM 2x8GB? If so, I would try the other channel and run memtest. I would also follow these instructions if possible: Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions

4 more replies
Relevance 47.97%

Hi,
I built a desktop and it was BSODing non stop with the error message, "attempted execute of noexecute memory".

I then stripped out the components till finally only these are in the system and re- installed windows.

Asus Z170 Pro
Core i5 6600k
Gskill Ripjaws 16 GB, DDR4, 2400, CL15
Samsung 850 evo.
The memory earlier was Corsair and I swapped it for the GSkill kit, and while the BSODs have reduced, I still get them, with the same Message.

I'm attaching the dump file.

Help will be greatly appreciated,

Thank you.

Answer:BSOD. Attempted execute of noexecute memory

Hi natbatter,

Have you tried some tests for the hardware?

0 more replies
Relevance 47.97%

? OS - Windows 8.1
? x64 ?
? Windows 8 was the original install on the system.
? The OS is a retail version.
? System is roughly 2-3 years old.
? OS age is roughly the same.
? The OS has not been reinstalled.

Desktop
? CPU Athlon II X3 450
? Video Card PowerColor Radeon HD 5450
? MotherBoard ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0
RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series (2x4GB) 1600 (PC3 12800)
? Power Supply SPARKLE 350W

Custom build
Overclock (according to CPU-Z): 3.95 GHZ, x16 mult w/ Bus speed 245.8 MHz & HT Link 1966 MHz. NB freq. 2458 MHz.
RAM: Dram freq. 819 MHz, FSB:DRAM 3:10; 10,10,10,30,33,2T

According to WhoCrashed:
BCC: 0xFC (0xFFFFC0007149E201, 0x982000013E142963, 0xFFFFD000228D2210, 0x2)
Error: Attempted Execute of NoExecute memory, tied to ntoskrnl.exe

Hello,

I recently upgraded my CPU from a sempron to an athlon II x3, and overclocked it as I did with my sempron. I try to be as cautious as possible with these things, so when I was finished I had found my system to be stable, using memtest and prime95.

Over the last month and a half since, however, I started to have this BSOD, with only this error. I have tried to figure it out from others problems and from the vast internet, but I have no clue on how to fix it.

jwcs

Answer:BSOD Attempt to execute noexecute memory

Code:
System Uptime: 12 days 20:32:37.760
This doesn't seem too bad. Especially if you say you're overclocking a newer CPU.

Code:
Max Speed 3200MHz
Current Speed 3200MHz
I'm not convinced that you are indeed overlocking your CPU though (according to the above). I'm new to bsod log analysis though so perhaps someone with more insight can provide an answer.

What you can try though is update the below third party drivers, prioritizing those with an older date. For example, lmimirr.sys and teamviewervpn.sys both have a driver from 2007. I'd prioritize updating these 2 drivers first and then working your way down the list.

Third party driver list - sorted by date of driver

Code:
**************************Sat Apr 11 15:44:43.568 2015 (UTC - 5:00)**************************
lmimirr.sys Tue Apr 10 17:32:45 2007 (461C108D)
teamviewervpn.sys Thu Dec 13 03:22:09 2007 (4760F9C1)
whfltr2k.sys Wed Sep 16 12:48:59 2009 (4AB1250B)
AtiPcie64.sys Wed Mar 10 08:33:45 2010 (4B97ADC9)
usbfilter.sys Mon Nov 29 03:50:21 2010 (4CF3775D)
NiViPxiK.sys Wed Jun 6 16:00:14 2012 (4FCFC4DE)
NiViPxiKl.sys Wed Jun 6 16:00:16 2012 (4FCFC4E0)
AtihdW86.sys Tue Jul 17 02:34:09 2012 (50051571)
nipxibrc.sys Wed ... Read more

5 more replies
Relevance 47.97%

So first off. I have had this error several times today. This all started after I installed a large recent update (the creators update) from windows. At first I thought it was a youtube issue as two of the crashes happened in the middle of youtube videos. But the videos were in Microsoft Edge and later crashes just happened browsing there, which makes sense to me since the windows update included a big update to Microsoft edge.. Below is the event viewer info.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000fc (0xffffd98fd1270068, 0x8a0000004b491963, 0xffff9000d3c3f680, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 5c20b0d1-4613-4585-adbd-c340ef6a375b.

So I followed the steps at the link below and the command prompt stuff saved an entire folder instead of just a file. I put alienware 13 as the name of my computer. If you need something else and that info isnt in the attached compressed folder let me know and I can find it.
BSOD - Posting Instructions - - Windows 10 Forums

Thanks in advance for your help!

Answer:BSOD attempted execute of noexecute memory

Hello rd11

This is likely to be a driver problem. Looking at the threads in the crash dump show two possible drivers:

Code:
ffffe681`28570570 fffff801`4ee890f0Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\bckd.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for bckd.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for bckd.sys
bckd+0x190f0

ffffe380`ddff24c0 fffff80a`5cbe178dUnable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\Qcamain10x64.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for Qcamain10x64.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for Qcamain10x64.sys
Qcamain10x64+0x16178d

These are the K9WebProtection

Code:
2: kd> lmvm bckd
Browse full module list
start end module name
fffff801`84da0000 fffff801`84dc1000 bckd T (no symbols)
Loaded symbol image file: bckd.sys
Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\bckd.sys
Image name: bckd.sys
Browse all global symbols functions data
Timestamp: Fri Aug 19 00:39:54 2016 (57B6474A)
CheckSum: 0002027A
ImageSize: 00021000
Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4

and the wireless LAN driver.

Code:
2: kd> lmvm Qcamain10x64
Browse full module list
start end module name
fffff80a`5ca80000 fffff80a`5cd0a000 Qcamain10x64 T (no symbols)
Loaded symbol image file: Qcamai... Read more

4 more replies
Relevance 47.97%

Hi,

Asus Z170 Pro
Core i5 6600k
Gskill Ripjaws 16 GB, DDR4, 2400, CL15
Samsung 850 evo.

I'm attaching the dump file.

Help will be greatly appreciated,

Thank you.

Answer:BSOD. Attempted execute of noexecute memory

Hi natbatter,

Have you tried some tests for the hardware?

5 more replies
Relevance 47.15%

I have done everything i could, updated latest window 10 updates, updated bios and all drivers by Msi driver update manager (with drivers auto-detection features), running Memory diagnostic tools and IntelBurnTest ( all results shown normal).

Other than this type of issue , i got encountered more types of BSOD quite frequent upon startup PC, but a few restart due to BSOD, it gets working normally and then occasionally i get BSOD trouble again in midway using PC.

Every hardware of mine was newly bought except casing, i get all these BSOD on the 1st day i build the PC.

i noticed since i had installed latest drivers, BSOD has reduced, but problem still persist as i mentioned above.

Answer:My new PC frequently get BSOD : Attempted execute of noexecute memory

Attention:

Before posting a BSOD thread, please read the instructions here: Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions

If you need to add new information, please make a new post in your initial BSOD thread. Please do not make an extra new thread.

Relevance 47.15%

It started to occur randomly, I didn't install any new software or hardware.

Answer:BSOD on Windows 8.1 ATTEMPTED EXECUTE OF NOEXECUTE MEMORY

Hi shera & Welcome to the forums ^_^,

I am extremely sorry for the delayed response . There are very few BSOD analysts. Do you still need help with your problem? If yes, then kindly reply back to this topic and I would reply within 48 hours. Also, I would be notified via email once you post.
-Pranav

Relevance 46.74%

I've been having this problem for a week now, i tried running memtest86 to diagnose Ram but the display does not show the test once it starts it show half the stats, the other half is hidden in mi right side screen. Only once it showed correctly and determined Errors with Tests 13 - hammering with both sticks. Now i am not able do determine which stick is faulty, because i cant run the test or see results properly.

This are my specs:

The error persists while listening to music (buzzing sound until it restarts), downloading things from steam or more likely while left idle. Never while gaming or doing heavy tasks, only light individual things as mentioned. I've had instances once BSOD reaches 100% in order to restart, it wont do it at all, staying like that for ever until i do it manually.

Now that i think of it, my PC would freeze and BSOD on me with buzzing sounds quite repeatedly when i had it build. But it stopped eventually, but now the problem has returned quite worse, i think it might always had been a faulty PSU (Corsair RM 850) or Ram (Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory).
I hope that this dump file shows some answers , please help thanks in advance.

Answer:BSOD ATTEMPTED EXECUTE OF NOEXECUTE MEMORY at Random times

Ok, i noticed the posting instructions, i downloaded the tool to create the zip file i need to upload, but it does not create any zip file in my desktop, even running it as administrator, all goes correct but it doesn't create any zip file. What am i doing wrong?

6 more replies
Relevance 46.74%

Using a Dell Laptop running Windows 10. Never had any BSOD before ever.

A few hours ago I clicked on the Dell's automatic updater which was to update the Dell BIOS version. Everything installed fine and the Dell BIOS checker checked the updated Bios installation saying all was fine. System then restarted and I logged into Windows. About 5 mins later I get a BSOD with error message "attempted execute of noexecute memory". Computer automatically restarts. Then every time after this I login to Windows and it repeats the BSOD after about 5 mins.

I used the DM Log Collector Tool. Please see attached. After this I did a System Restore to 3 days ago thinking that it should fix the problem. It didn't.

Seems that Dell BIOS updater has stuffed up my system. Does anyone know how I might be able to fix this please?

Relevance 45.92%

hai all,

when I click on the camera icon, it crashes and displays the following message:
attempted execute of noexecute memory.

can anybody advise me by return that how can I overcome this issue.

thanks and regards;
hilal

Relevance 38.95%

Until recently I've been able to log in to Mint.com easily on my PC. Now, when I hit the LOGIN button I just get a blank page. I can still log in on my iPad. So I must have inadvertently changed something on my PC but I don't know what it is.

I'm using Windows 7 and Firefox and have used Mint regularly for 3 or more years. Thanks for any help.

Chuck

Relevance 38.54%

If you're on something like Win 7 and you've been toying with the idea of trying Linux, give Mint 15 with KDE a whirl. I adapted to it fairly quickly.

I've been experimenting with it off of a bootable usb drive. I used the Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.3.9 to create it.

It's solid for general use and multimedia. I've not had issues yet. Processor and GPU = FX 6300 @ 4.66GHz and GTX 660.

Answer:Linux Mint 15 with KDE

Good info, thanks! I've heard good things about MINT

Have you tried Ubuntu at all? If so how do the two compare?

8 more replies

Hi,

newbie here, am really frustated trying to installL linux Mint-14. Every time I enter my (password) it says
(password) does not match, have reset the password 3 times, any help appreciated, OS: Windows 7 Home Premium, am logged into the forum with this password, thanks

billog

Answer:Help, Linux Mint-14

Not a big Linux user, albeit sometimes if you use upper case with any log in this can be a problem. The only thing I can really recommend is to reinstall and make sure that you write down both the user name and the password down before entering into the OS; this way you will hopefully have no further problems.

Good Luck. . ., and BTW, "Welcome to the Seven Forums."

3 more replies

Hello
I have been watching tutorials at YouTube but there are so many hosts, guests, and OS's it is confusing.
I would like to use Oracle box as the host and install Mint as the guest. I am running Win 8.1 x64 which I would like to avoid in the mix if possible
My goal is to use the guest to run as an OS and also to try new things I would not try on my Windows pc. Also, if I had trouble I could simply delete the guest and the trouble would be gone.
I know how to go to Oracle and click Linux if that is to be the host or Windows if that is to be the host.
I think I would be clicking Linux if Oracle is the host then downloading oracle. Then go to the Linux site and click on Mint to download.
I think once Oracle is downloaded I click new and then click the Mint download but after that it gets fuzzy.

Services says virtual disc is stopped and on manual and windows features says hyper v is not enabled.
Perhaps these should be changed.
I am not too techy and this might take a bit of patience.
If you would like to assist me I would appreciate it. Thank you
Peter
PS Since writing this, I read an article that enumerated 10 reasons not to virtualize. One being if all is going well on a relatively new machine which is the case here. There were other reasons that deterred me from wanting to crate a VM such as time differences. etc.. I apologize for creating this lengthy post before reading the caveat and will not be perusing it further.

Relevance 38.54%

I had a friend install Linux mint on my machine as an alternative OS.  However, I find that I am not doing well with it at all.      It is not compatible with dozens of documents that i have stored in the past with Word and Excel  and I need to get rid of Linux.  My friend, who installed it, is not available.  I want ot get back to where I only have one OS, Windows 7.  Do I need to reformat my drive C?   Help please.

Answer:How can I ge rid of Linux mint.

See http://lifehacker.com/how-to-uninstall-windows-or-linux-after-dual-booting-508710422 for a guide to removing a Linux OS from a dual boot system.

14 more replies
Question: Linux Mint 12 x64

I know that this is a Windows 7 forums but the people on this site are so much faster in getting things done than most sites which I appreciate.

I was just wondering how to delete some keys that "apt-get update" checks for... when I run the command in terminal this is what I get at the bottom

W: Failed to fetch http://download.virtualbox.org/virtu...amd64/Packages 404 Not found

W: Failed to fetch http://download.virtualbox.org/virtu...-i386/Packages 404 Not found

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Answer:Linux Mint 12 x64

Hi,

I don't think you can edit the repositories directly, although I may be wrong. I suggest changing your software sources to the main server, or another mirror, and then trying:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
If this doesn't solve the problem, check to see whether Synaptic Package Manager is open elsewhere, and close it before running these commands.

Regards,
Golden

Question: Linux mint

I have just built a new PC and at the moment do not have a windows OS, i am using Linux mint.
What i would like to know ,is there an application for folding GPU with mint.

Answer:Linux mint

Hi Bill

Not an expert in Linux folding but I know a client is available HERE for console or HERE are a few also and SMP maybe for you.

29 more replies
Relevance 38.54%

Did this happen? I know awhile back they obviously discontinued the mobile app, but is the 10 app gone now too? Searched couldn't find any news on it.

Relevance 38.54%
Question: 7 dual with mint?

Im thinking of dual booting my windows 7 box with linux mint good or bad idea? Which linux would be safe to dual boot with 7? or any at all? is mint ok? What about grub loader should i use it or easybcd? thanks

Answer:7 dual with mint?

Don't bother. Install Linux in Virtual-Box if this is a desktop with plenty of RAM and CPU - fill in your hardware specs. Otherwise buy a hard drive and install it on that. Dual-booting now is unnecessary and a number of things can literally break.

4 more replies
Relevance 38.54%

i want to try linux so some forum guys told me to get linux mint , i down loaded the linux mint (18) cinnimon sarah from a link that somebody gave me.
after downloading it opened up nero and i burnt the file to disc.
i cant find a way to "send" the files to a usb stick and i cant find a run set up icon. how do i get the downloaded software to run.

Question: Linux Mint 10

Hi... I have a Compaq Presario V2000 laptop my wife uses to play games. I've been having IE8 problems as I've indicated on other boards.
As I seem to have been locked out of XP at this point I decided to use my Linux Mint 10 (Julia) to try and boot in and see if I could do any repairs.
However, it appears LM10 is having problems installing.
I am at the gray screen and I keep having little prompts pop up with problems too fast to write down and the cursor keeps freezing.
I was able to partially write down one:
oafiid:gnome notify area appalet - delete or not?
May not be exactly correct...

Will add more as I can...

Answer:Linux Mint 10

bdelapp said:

However, it appears LM10 is having problems installing.
I was able to partially write down one:
oafiid:gnome notify area appalet - delete or not?
May not be exactly correct...

Will add more as I can...Click to expand...

I would delete the file and see if the desktop loads.

Are you trying the CD or the DVD?

More on what this error means.

6 more replies

Hey Guys,
This might fit into the Linux forum better if so then please move it.

I just downloaded Virtual Box from Oracle. I set up a machine with just the default settings( next....next...etc.) I threw in my live disctro of Linux Mint 11 to install it. It came up with the Mint 11 splash screen, auto start in how ever many seconds. Went and loaded the stuff (black screen with white letters that always comes up) then it just sits at a black screen.
What did I do wrong?
Help please,
Spock96

Question: Minty mint

For those who run Linux Mint, this might be for you.

Was originally released a few days ago but I only got around to play with it now due to RL.

17.3 Rosa has been released and features:
MATE:

MATE 1.12, MDM 2.0, a Linux kernel 3.19 and an Ubuntu 14.04 package base.
LibreOffice 5
Orca screen reader
OpenVPN support available out of the box
Device Manager improvement (tho for me I seen no difference due to my hardware)
Touchpad improvements
Additional window managers available: Openbox (Finally!!!)Click to expand...

Cinnamon:

Cinnamon 2.8, MDM 2.0, a Linux kernel 3.19 and an Ubuntu 14.04 package base.
LibreOffice 5
Orca screen reader
OpenVPN support available out of the box
Device Manager improvement (tho for me I seen no difference due to my hardware)
Various improvements to Cinnamon and appletsClick to expand...

Note that in the repos, kernel 4.2.0 is also available but I would not recommend updating it. I personally used to use ubuntu's mainline kernel updates instead of Linux Mint repos ones, when I used mint. On my Debian, I use backports compiled kernels.

In any case if you wish to update to 4.2.0 kernel from Linux Mint repos, beware that following drivers do not work with it:
fglrx (ATI/AMD Drivers)
ndiswrapper (Windows Wireless Drivers)

Enjoy.

Answer:Minty mint

I just run MATE. However, I am going to try out Cinnamon 2.8 and see how it is. Hopefully, Cinnamon is not as glitchy as usual .

3 more replies
Question: Hp elite x3 mint

Hi how do i sell my Hp Elite x3 is there a forum here to sell it thank you.

Answer:Hp elite x3 mint

Read the rules here: https://forums.windowscentral.com/ma...ml#post3652733
Thread closed.

2 more replies
Question: linux mint

I have bought a second-hand computer a Dell Latitude D520, it didn't have a operating system on it, I installed Linux Mint. I already had a BT hub and tried a wireless connection with the hub but didn't succeed, the wireless device on the computer is enabled, I contacted the people I bought the computer from they recon the Linux drivers are not compatible with BT broadband, do you have any suggestions?

Hi guys,

I am having an issue with getting Linux Mint 9 dual boot with Win 7 utilizing EasyBCD.

The equipment is an outdated Dell 8400 with a single WD 1 TB hdd. I have four partitions on this drive; Linux Primary partition 125 GB, Linux swap partition 4 GB and two Win 7 partitions (100 MB and the main partition ~865 GB).

I am intrigued by testing various various dual boot o/s combos. The combo of Win7 followed by Linux Mint 9 (utilizing Linux boot loader) went great without any problems.

In my next testing stage, I loaded Mint 9 first and then Win 7. I downloaded EasyBCD which I have used in my dual boot with Win 7 and XP.

Running EasyBCD I enter the "Add/Remove Entries". Clicking on the Linux entry tab I chose "Grub" as my version. The drive chosen is the main "Linux native 125 GB".
Clicked on the "Add Entry" and saved the entry.

"View Settings" shows two separate entries; Win 7 and Mint 9. The bootloader path for Mint 9 is "\NST\nst_grub.mbr " which I know is not correct since when I reboot I get two os options. Clicking on Mint 9, the message displayed reads: "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware/software change might be the cause..."

Clicking on the Win7 option works since it is the current boot loader.

How do I fix my problem? Thanks.

Answer:Dual boot Mint 9 with Win 7

It's been a few years since I did much with Linux. But I'd hazard a guess the problem is Windows doesn't know about Linux, but Linux knows about Windows.

Seems to me when I used a Dos/Windows booting utility, I still had Grub on the partition with the Linux kernel. So the machine booted into Boot Magic or whatever is was called, but when I selected Linux I got Grub which then gave me Linux booting options such as which kernel build etc..

I think Windows still sees Linux type partitions as "unknown". You are prolly better off just using Linux stuff to boot everything.

6 more replies
Relevance 38.13%

right so i got my win 7 + 8.1 all good with all the raids what ever ........ so unplugged all that and trying to install linux mint 16 or the cinnaman one 64 bit, on a PQ5 PRO MB on seperate disk

but iso dvd wont load the dvd player cant see it ? if i load win seven rescue disk it loads and i even reformated disk from commaned promt

run out off ideas any help here ?

Answer:Installing linux mint 16

After much research i concluded its must be a corrupt mint download so i re downloaded but instead of burning a DVD from the ISO i chose to add to usb stick using "Pendrivelinux" very easy to use program unfortunately still wouldn't work

then i was reading something somewhere and someone was advised to try a different usb stick so i fort i would too and success, i know have a fully installed and working linux mint 16 64bit Cinnamon

just got to get it to multi boot with windows now

5 more replies
Relevance 38.13%

Brother built a Mint 17 PC for me after my Window 7 motherboard fried. Can't get used to Mint and want to go back to Win 7. Mint has 128Gb Crucial SSD that has all of the Mint OS and programs on it and a separate 1Tb WD HD for documents. How do I go to installing Win 7 on this. I will copy all of my documents to flash drive before. In fact, I have a spare SanDisk 128 GB SSD that I would like to install Windows 7 onto it. All the SanDisk has on it now is a clone of the Mint 17 OS. Format the SanDisk and the WD HD? My wife has a Windows 7 PC running which I can use if needed. I have a USB IDE/SATA cable adapter also. Lots of options for me but confused how to start. Thank you.

Answer:convert from Mint 17 to Windows 7

That should be pretty easy. Get a Windows 7 license and install on the spare SSD. You can do that with the SSD attached externally. Make sure the SSD has an aligned primary active partition before you install. Then add the SSD to the build and switch the BIOS boot sequence. You can even keep Mint on the original SSD. No need to save any data since that is on a separate HDD.

7 more replies

this is the desktop of Mint 12

If you press the Windows key or the infinity icon you can reach an application page that look like the Metro Start Page, but contrary to MS you can even open the Menu. And look at left no need to fight with the mouse to open the menu, it's already open

You can even see your application running from the desktop.

So why Microsoft it's so hard for you to put an icon to switch betwen the start page and the desktop ? Why we have to use the corner of the screen to do this ?

Answer:If Mint developers can do it why not Microsoft?

Kind of like this?

It's really not that difficult to switch between Start and Desktop. It's a key or a click away.

4 more replies
Relevance 38.13%

Mintv'Diana' has VLC player loaded as default disc player
But it to does nt.
Any thoughts or alternatives please

Hi!

I installed Linux Mint on my external HDD. Worked fine. Booted Linux when external HDD was plugged in, Win7 when not. Unfortunately at one point Linux Mint updated its kernel headers and I suppose it made an update to Grub with this. => no boot to Win7 although all data was still there.
I tried a Win7 recovery cd image via USB-Stick (no cd drive available) => no windows found.
I tried bootrec, bootsect, but that did not help ("element not found").
There was a drive E: with 100mb which held a /boot folder.
C: (with win7 on it) did not.
I tried diskpart for activating partitions etc.
Nothing worked.
Someone suggested "sudo update-grub" in linux mint (still worked if plugged in). That one found windows and it looked like it was making an entry for it (beneath diverse linux mint options).
Next restart brought only a grub-console, but no boot options. => no linux either now.
I restartet using USB-Win7 recovery. Now the 100mb partition is gone (I suppose thats ok, since I sat it to hidden+boot in gparted), all the drive letters are wildly assigned in diskpart and I do not know what to do now.

Thx for any help, Tommy

Answer:Destroyed BCD with Linux Mint

Linux has obviously grabbed complete control over your boot process. If you are going to fix this I have a feeling you'll have more luck on the linux forums than here.

Though I personally only deal with linux when I have too. It's possible some people here are different.

9 more replies
Relevance 38.13%

HiI?m experiencing an issue with my printer which when used with windows 10 works fine but I am also using Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.3 O.S. on my laptop which is my preferred operating system. The problem is that I am unable to print, either Linux does not recognise this printer model or vice/versaThe printer is there when I open ?Printer? in the mint menu. But that?s it. If I open another window in ?what?s printing ?it shows several documents ready to print. But just does not print! Although it printed fine on my old desktop running Mint ?Mate? O.S. (now no longer in use). I have tried downloading and installing ?HPLIP but without success anyone out there with a solution, it would be greatly appreciated.

Answer:printing on linux mint

Did you try this: https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1200

Relevance 38.13%

I tossed mint 14 on a old P4. I was using a ancient 17' monitor at 1024. I have a new benq monitor and yet mint says it's unknown and I am stuck at 1024 even though it's 1920.

I would have thought it would be seen when I fired mint up. Maybe it's the card, a old Nvidia Geforce 4 using legacy drivers.

I'll probably have to do a fresh install or toss ubunto on.

Answer:mint 14 won't recognize my display

If it won't recognize your display your display driver is not functioning properly.

Do the nvidia proprietary driver update, the open source version sucks becuase nvidia does not support it.

3 more replies
Relevance 38.13%

The Mint development team just announced the release of Linux Mint 13 KDE. All you alternative OS types out there should head on over and check it out.

Answer:Linux Mint 13 KDE Released

I don't dabble much with Linux anymore, but when I did Linux Mint was a really good choice.

33 more replies

? Artwork Improvements
? Other Improvements
? Main Components
? LTS Strategy

What?s New in Linux Mint 17.2 ?Rafaela? MATE:
What?s New in Linux Mint 17.2 ?Rafaela? Cinnamon:
Download Linux Mint 17.2 ?Rafaela? ? MATE (32-bit)
Download Linux Mint 17.2 ?Rafaela? ? MATE (64-bit)
Download Linux Mint 17.2 ?Rafaela? ? Cinnamon (32-bit)
Download Linux Mint 17.2 ?Rafaela? ? Cinnamon (64-bit)

Linux Mint All Releases

Relevance 38.13%

I am completely new to this forum, so if I did something wrong (posted in the wrong area etc...) please let me know.
Anyway I tried to instal Linux Mint on a very old computer and when I got to the part "instal Linux Mint" icon, I would click on it and after five minutes, the computer froze. I would wait a hour and nothing would happen. I then would restart it, and vola! It would work, until I click it again. Please help me find a way to get the computer to work!

P.S. I almost forgot to say, before I got it, the hard drive was wiped.

Answer:Linux Mint Won't Instal

Does Mint have a alternative text based installer? I know some distros do and those tend to work better for older computers in my experiences

13 more replies
Relevance 38.13%

Hello fellow Geeks, I need your help if possible.

I'm looking to install Linux Mint (Cinnamon) onto an SSD of mine that is separate from the SSD that Windows 10 is installed on. The SSD I want to install it on has games installed on it on Windows, so I want to have one partition on it for the entire install of Linux.

I already have a bootable USB formatted with the ISO on it thanks to Rufus.

I am just a noob at Linux and want to be able to install it on the SSD in fell swoop. Thanks for any and all help.

Relevance 38.13%

Answer:Can't burn Lionux Mint ISO?

Rocktot said:

I am using a 1 gig DVD, but when I unzip the package (linux mint) there is no ISO image. The only ISO image is the zipped file itself, which does not seem to want to burn to the DVD.Click to expand...

You're using a 1GB DVD to burn an ISO that's 1.131GB in size. It won't fit. You'll need to use a regular 4.7GB DVD (it seems a waste, I know). I trust you've downloaded the latest version (16 "Petra"). The earlier versions are obsolete and unsupported.

Out of curiosity, I downloaded Linux Mint. I ended up with an ISO (see attached).

You don't unzip ISOs. You burn them as is. Contrary to what I've read, ISOs are not compressed images (although some files within the ISO may be compressed like .CAB files). But ISOs are bit-for-bit copies of the source material(s) and are burned to CD/DVD as is.

9 more replies

Hello all,

After some searching I thought I'd ask here.  Does anyone know of a system-wide EQ for Linux Mint, similar to the Realtek one in windows?  I did come across one called PulseAudio, but that seems to be either out of date or not maintained anymore from what I read.  Not a big deal, just like having the ability to dial in half decent sounds on youtube and the like.

Apologies if I missed this already.

Relevance 38.13%

Hi all,I have a question,I have dual booted many times before but only with windows os.I downloaded an ISO of linux mint and burned it to cd.Would like to know if it would be the same process as dual booting
windows os.Don't want to run into any surprises,thank-you.

Answer:Dualboot 8.1 and Linux Mint

I can't say if it would be the same process since you didn't describe what you did before.  However, this article is the one I followed to install Linux Mint alongside Windows.  You should note that there are certain steps that are specific to dual booting Windows 8.1 and Linux Mint on a UEFI system.

8 more replies
Relevance 38.13%

Just tried to install Linux Mint 10 (Julia) onto the Compaq machine I spoke of in this thread.

Got as far as the main screen on the live CD.
Clicked on Install and it would go no further.
Message about pwuid not found.
Wondering if that same problem was what kept me from doing anything to the 120GB HD in the other thread?
Maybe some sort of Admin password in memory blocking it?

Answer:Problem with Mint installation.

Apparently that's a bug in Ubuntu (Mint is an Ubuntu derivative)

I don't think it has anything to do with your hard drive.
I was reading the bugtraq and it affects all different models of computers.

2 more replies
Relevance 38.13%

I don't know much but I heard someone put a virus in the download to linux mint. Did they resolve this issue yet?

Answer:Is it safe to install mint?

Downloading from it's original site is the better way to do it. There is a risk with almost every download you do but that can be reduce using only trusted sources.

2 more replies

Well just found in Wilders

Wilders

According to the post in wilders, the application turns to be on demand scanner and its free.

Mint

Checked the Google Translate in English

Also the application itself is safe.

Answer:Mint Security Essentials

RE: Mint Security Essentials

Mint Security Essentials discontinue development, antivirus from indonesia. created by Yogi Wisesa (b_agoy), Moderator Forum smadav.

Relevance 38.13%

I am about to screw together a new machine.Well nearly new - a Novatech barebones box -a used Hard drive and DVD writer, for my daughterNow contemplating which operating system.I have various version of XP ,but wondering how about a complete break way and going for say - Linux Mint 10Any thoughts and tips would be appreciated- also which browser is recommended Firefox or Opera or another.Thanking you all in anticipation

Answer:Linus Mint 10 for a new build?

"for my daughter"Tried asking her what she wants? :0)

10 more replies
Relevance 38.13%

I have a Compaq Pressario M2000 laptop with a wireless connection.The connection can be turned on or off from a button. I am trying to run Mint 7 or 8 on it. When I use the live CD, I cannot turn the wireless on. I have tried a method from a Mint forum,but the issue is not drivers. The wireless will not turn on. I have gone into the setup, and do not see anything to indicate the wireless needs anything special to be active all the time. I installed Mint 7 on another laptop running Vista ( the problem machine is running XP) and am able to connect fine.Any ideas?

Answer:wireless problem with Mint

6 more replies
Relevance 38.13%

is it possible to have a running version of windows 8 as my main operating but some time boot to Linux mint if so what is the smallest distribution of Linux mint

Answer:windows8 and linux mint

Hello James, take a look at this: http://thpc.info/dual/win7/install_mint_inside_win7.html This article might answer some questions for you. I know it's a windows 7 installations but most everything that runs on 7 will run on 8 also.

Relevance 38.13%

Hi all Im using the mint app to set budgets for myself but its always having problems communicating with my bank which goes above and beyond a username and password but makes you answer security questions from time to time any solutions would be most appreciated

Answer:Mint.com cant communicate with my bank

That's how it works with some banks. You can report issues to Mint, but if the only issue is that you have to provide answers to the additional security questions from time to time, that's not an issue they're going to resolve. Your bank sees it as a security feature.

Hello all,

Apologies if I missed this already.

I've read the Dota 2 Linux Minimum System Requirements are:

Ubuntu 12.04
Dual core from Intel or AMD at 2.8 GHz
4GB RAM
4GB Hard Drive Space,
nVidia GeForce 8600/9600GT, ATI/AMD Radeaon HD2600/3600 (Graphic Drivers: nVidia 310, AMD 12.11), OpenGL 2.1
OpenAL Compatible Sound Card

But I use:

Linux Mint 14 "Nadia" with Cinnamon 1.6
Quad-core Intel 4670K-i5 Haswell
8GB DDR3 RAM
500GB HDD
nVidia GeForce GTX 770 Gaming Edition
Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard

And for some reason DotA 2 won't launch. I have successfully installed Steam, then proceeded to install DotA 2. When I click "Play" in Steam, it loads, plays the Valve intro animation, then closes out. Whyyyy? I thought Linux Mint was built off of Ubuntu?

Relevance 38.13%

I recently installed Linux Mint 10 as a dual boot with Windows 7 (64-bit), but it seems to slow down my computer. How can I uninstall it?

Answer:How can I uninstall linux mint 10?

If you used wubi then uninstall it from windows.If you did some other dual boot then delete the partition(s) and fix the boot manager back to W7 if you want. 1/3 of highway deaths are caused by drunks. The rest are by people who can't drive any better than a drunk.

2 more replies
Relevance 38.13%

I'm looking to use either Quicken Online, or Mint to manage my money. Which is better? (but i'm up to looking at any others) What is your reccomendation?

Answer:Quicken Online Vs. Mint

Hi,
Interesting independent reviews of freeware products at this site:

I'd not be happy putting my finacial details in an online service.

Richard

Relevance 38.13%

windows os.Don't want to run into any surprises,thank-you.

Answer:Dualboot 8.1 and Linux Mint

4 more replies
Relevance 38.13%

I am having troble viewing certain websites using firefox and linux mint 9.Firefox crashes with the following message shown in treminal. (firefox-bin:2385): Gdk-WARNING **: XID collision, trouble aheadIllegal instructionAs i am just starting with linux, i have no idea on how to sort his problem out. Before i call it quits and return to dear old XP can somebody help?websites in question are europeantour.com and belkin.co.ukc

Answer:linux mint & firefox

"You could try posting your problem on the Linux Mint forum"I had thought of that, but, as this forum has been very helpful in the past, I would try here first.c

8 more replies
Relevance 38.13%

Okay, I just downloaded linux mint and burned the iso onto a disk and I was looking around do I have to have unbuntu to install mint? :c

Answer:Newbie to Linux Mint

If you're this new to Linux, maybe start off with Ubuntu.

9 more replies
Relevance 38.13%

Thought I would try out Linux Mint,which I downloaded and saved as a ISO image to CD. When I place the cd in my PC (Win XP)and restart,the Linux Mint wallpaper appears then a message:"Boot Failed: Press a Key to retry".But nothing does happen. I have opened the cd to explore and I think everything is there.click hereNot to sure if the boot up is correct in the BIOS. click hereOr could it be something else?

Answer:Loading Linux Mint from CD

BIOS is correct.But I suspect from your description, you have not burned the iso correctly, or you've burned it too fast and got an error.Please click here to make sure you're burning the iso file correctly.

Relevance 38.13%

Iam a newbie. I have an extra laptop it is a Gateway Netbook with only 1 GB of ram it has windows 7 starter. Is it possible to only run Linux Mint on it? There isnt a DVD drive. I run Linux Mint on USB ISO on my Acer laptop now with Windows 10
The netbook is just for Linux Mint, if possible. Can this be done? Remember iam a newbie. Thanks Chuck

Answer:windows 7 to linux mint

You can run Linux Mint

3 more replies
Relevance 37.72%

I installed linux mint 18 but when the pc boots up i only see a menu for linux options or memory tests,i do not see an option to choose between windows and linux.
i am wondering if i inadvertantly deleted the windows operating system because when i ran the instalation disc that was burnt automatically through nero i remember lots of questions to do with partitions and i know i said yes to all of them . could i have deleted the windows vista from my pc without realising it.
dont panic i am NOT putting anyone at risk as this post has been sent from a windows 10 pc WITH anti virus.
i dont have anti virus on the linux pc because i cant get any working, comdo downloaded and said dependancy is not satisfied and stopped installing , sophos installed but just showed a page of script , all other freebies i tried generate an error saying error loading archive.
can anyone recommend a free av that works.

Relevance 37.72%

This is my new computer.  They forced Win 8.1 on me and it's the worst thing I've ever seen.  I think MS really shot itself in the foot removing all support for DOS and that may be keeping some users running XP.

I'm running DOS programs in DOSBox but DOSBox doesn't support printing so I'm running XP in a virtual box.  It can print but it's not a long term solution.  What I want to do is triple boot the existing Win 8.1 with XP (I have an installation disk) and Linux Mint (a glorified Ubuntu).  I think it's time that Microsoft and I part ways but I need some legacy support before marrying Linux.

This tute tells me how to dual boot 8.1 and XP.  I'd think that triple booting would just involve using GParted to carve out another partition for Mint and running the installer.

Any tips?  Of course I am going to make an image of the entire HD first.

Answer:Need tips on triple booting W8.1, XP and Mint

Any tips?

Yes, Have you got an external USB HDD? Use that.

When installing Linux
1 Make sure you plug in any printers or scanners Linux will detect them and install them for you.
2 Make sure you are connected to the net.

Dual-boot Linux Mint 17 and Windows 8 on a PC with UEFI ...

Yes basically.
Linux Bootloader will replace the Windows one.
Resizing and Adding Partitions using GParted Live

Linux Mint (a glorified Ubuntu).

Yup. Linux for novices.

Of course I am going to make an image of the entire HD first.

Good idea also de-fragment you Hard Drive from within windows.

9 more replies
Relevance 37.72%

Hi, I have been directed from the Linux forums to ask this concern here and I will just copy and paste what I asked there:

Are you able to answer the concerns about  "Possible Linux/Ebury - Operation Windigo installetd." An attacker can't infect you through just knowing your ip and then looking for vulnerable ports can they?

The only vulnerable ports I know of are the Samba ports and they were both closed on my vpn ip and my real ip. Plus I had a firewall set to reject all incoming traffic. The port checkers I used were http://www.canyouseeme.org/ and http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

Also upon I discovered that port 22 ssh was a vulnerable port which I never checked.

I'd be very grateful for any help on this. Thanks.

Answer:Linux Mint backdoor concern.

As this question has now been answered in another thread, I'll close this thread to prevent further confusion.

Relevance 37.72%

So on Saturday, it worked, hasn''t worked since I moved my system, no setting changes. When I turn my volume up in the volume control I hear static, no error in windows, when I play a shound & record with audacity, line stays flat. I even uninstalled/reinstlled the driver, no luck. Dev. man says it is working fine, no yellow marks or anything.

Answer:WinXP no sound, but I have it in Linux )Mint 10)

Is it a lappy or desktop? Onboard sound, or card?

4 more replies
Relevance 37.72%

I am trying to download and run Windows 10 instead of my current operating system Linux Mint.

I bought windows 10 and proceeded to download the .iso file. I wrote the .iso file onto a FAT32 flashdrive but it won't install or run. Nothing but Linux programs show up in the boot order (using Grub).
Also I can't download the windows media creation tool, when I try it takes me to the .iso download page telling me that it doesn't work on my operating system (which might not matter anyway).
Please help!

Relevance 37.72%

I have tried to install Linux Mint 18.1 on my HP Laptop with the same result. The files will download but not the Terminal or the Cinnamon desktop. How do I get this thing to work? I have also tried Linux Mint 17.3, Ubuntu 16.04, Mate and xfceI get the same result. The files download bu there is no Terminal and no desktop. What can I do to make this program run?

Answer:Can't Install Linux Mint on My HP Laptop

it is something related to the video card. but if i would be in your shoes, i wont install linux on this kind on swtchable graphic laptop. you will have a very low battery life.

Relevance 37.72%

My current OS is Win 7 Pro 32 bit on one HD, but I'm thinking of installing Linux Mint 64 bit on an extra HD and alternating between the two.
I would only be using one OS at a time on alternate HDs.
What would be a good antivirus, free or paid, to cover both?
Or should I go for two different antivirus programs?
I currently run Norton 360 Premier, but I'm not sure if it works with Linux.
I have not actually installed Linux yet.
Tnx in advance for any help.

Greetings guys-

I have dabbled with Linux over the years, but I am finally ready to move away from the virtual machines, and dual boot it with Windows 10 for various reasons.

I plan to only use it for general computing, browsing, and simple things. Gaming will be done on the W10 partition. Office work possibly will be done with Libre.

I am storing no media, it is all on a separate server already.

But I have never actually installed it as a dual boot. How big should I make the partition?

My SSD is 240GB, Win 10 currently is using about 60 gigs. All my games and media are installed on different drives.

Answer:Linux Mint 17.2 - How large of a partition do I need?

Most of my linux machines are console-only, but unless you are doing specific things that are taking up lots of space (like storing lots of videos or something) linux is pretty small, in general a 10GB partition for root is fine for me.

Since you are going to be installing the GUI and GUI apps, I would go for more space, 20-30GB maybe. What you should do is take a ~60GB partition, and make it an LVM container, then you can put some linux volumes in there and grow/shrink them as you please.

4 more replies
Relevance 37.72%

Ever since the Linux Mint forum was hacked, and forum members' passwords were potentially compromised, I have been thinking about passwords. Like most people, mine probably aren't up to snuff. For example, I just learned that router passwords should be 25 characters. And the old 12-character "strong" password is no such thing anymore. So, I was just curious, what do folks here think about this? What about password managers? Password "bases" (where you have a set sequence of characters, plus unique ones geared to a particular site)?
And so on. Any thoughts?

Answer:Mint Hack Has Me Rethinking Passwords

When it comes to cracking a password using the normal brute force method adding any character in numbers increases the security password.......... is much stronger than password because the software has to try every character in the password the same number of times so more the merrier.

Another good one is to include a number in the password but use the Shift Key when entering it so 12345 becomes !"?$% but is still memorable try "$^*).....,,,,,*^$" Which is entered as Shift+ 2468 ..... ,,,,, Shift+ 8642 and is good against brute force and pattern recognition

2 more replies
Relevance 37.72%

I have read the post by Kurzo and have a question regarding the [/home] partition. Specifically if I have a created a separate partition for windows, documents, can this also be used by Linux as the [/home] partition?

Answer:Dual Boot W7 Linux Mint

Hi Not quite sure what you want to achieve, but I will try and give you some relevant info. You should make/take/create Recovery Media for Windows 7 so that it can be re-installed at a later date if wanted.  If you view the Hard Disk and can take a screen shot to post here it may help to give more targeted advice. I would expect to shrink the C: and create 3 or 4 more partitions //home/swap and perhaps a common data storage area formatted to NTFS. Then when Mint is installed the common data area can be mounted to use for docs between W`indows and Mint. If in doubt please ask.

Happy 2 [email protected]

Hey Guys,
I was wondering where I could find a download for Linux Mint to make a bootable disk. I posted about my Ubuntu disk not working correctly and I threw it with the rest of my CD's and forgot about it. Now I started reading posts about how you can boot from that live CD and pull your files of an infected computer. I think that would be a nice (tool/toy) to have around.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated
Thanks,
Spock96

Answer:Linux Mint Bootable Disk

All you need to do is download it from http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php and burn it to a CDVD then just boot from it.

During the boot it will give you the option to boot or install,

I will say that Mint 10 is a superb OS , my only fault is that in 64 bit version the screen resolution is not as good as windows.

3 more replies
Relevance 37.72%

A few months ago i put linux mint on one of my pc but when i booted the pc up after a succsessful install i did not see an option to run windows or linux. Several people said i must have said yes to too many questions about partitioning as linux was installing. Most people who answered my previous posting say i must have completly destroyed windows but then i had a flash back. I was using linux online BUT with a linksey wi fi dongle ( a piece of windows software) to my bt hub. So have i really destroyed windows or is it that i just cant find it. I cant reboot pc to factory settings as it is windows recovery disc and at the moment i can only run linux... If i get some answers i will set up the pc again... My main question then is , where is windows now and how do i get to it .

Hi All,
The title says it all. I want to have a shared folder on all my computers. Presently win 7 and win 8 share a folder being members of the same home-group and I would like to share it also with a Linux Mint computer. I want to know if it's possible to add the Linux Machine to my home-group or how I can share a folder on my home network.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.......Tom

Relevance 37.72%

Hi, I'm new to Linux so bare with me, here we go.

Since I have win 7 64bit installed, I thought that it would be correct to
use Linux 64bit too, wrong!!!

The DOS works only with 32bit(BIOS f.34), so I downloaded the
Linux Mint 12 KDE 32bit, and this one works like a charm.

The problem is, and here is my question,

How do I configure wi-fi in Linux?

It asks for some information like a MAC address and some other stuff, of which I have little or no clue.

But this MAC address really confuses me because it seems like there are many kinds:

HFC MAC ID

MTA MAC ID

Router MAC ID

Thanks,

Wrenchman

Answer:How to configure wi-fi in Linux mint, 32bit?

Go to the Terminal, try command MintWifi

You may or may not need NDISWRAPPER.

This method worked for me: http://www.ehow.com/how_6101011_configure-wireless-mint.html

17 more replies
Relevance 37.72%

i found some forum posts that use the method for installing ubuntu7.10 (by pendrivelinux.com) but the instructions seem to use commands for gibbon...do i have to modify any commands from that tutorial?

Answer:Persistent linux mint install on usb?

I think the procedure in general is the same in every Linux.

There are instructions for Mint on pendrivelinux too, did you notice?

2 more replies

Linux Mint 17.1 'Rebeca' - Final

Download Linux Mint 17.1 'Rebeca' MATE:
32-bit, http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=173
64-bit, http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=174

Download Linux Mint 17.1 'Rebeca' Cinnamon:
32-bit, http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=171
64-bit, http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=172

More info about Linux Mint 17.1 you can found here:http://www.linuxcompatible.org/news/story/linux_mint_17_1_released.html

Whats new in Linux Mint 17.1 'Rebeca' MATE: http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_rebecca_mate_whatsnew.php

Whats new in Linux Mint 17.1 'Rebeca' Cinnamon: http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=172

Homepage: http://www.linuxmint.com/

Answer:Linux Mint 17.1 'Rebeca' - Final

Linux Mint is good, but Ubuntu is having alot of issues and therefore Linux Mint also.

My favorites are OpenSUSE, Manjaro Linux and Linux Mint.

7 more replies
Relevance 37.72%

So, i bought the laptop just for the size, and the Mobile Broadband function. Don't need windows, so i installed Linux. (mint)It recognizes the sim card as it asks for the pin. When i fill that in, i try and make a new connection, but it then says connection failed. When i check the log file it says: Dec 9 09:48:27 mint NetworkManager[1686]: <info> Activation (cdc-wdm3) starting connection 'KPN NL connection'
Dec 9 09:48:27 mint NetworkManager[1686]: <info> (cdc-wdm3): device state change: disconnected -> prepare (reason 'none') [30 40 0]
Dec 9 09:48:27 mint NetworkManager[1686]: <info> Activation (cdc-wdm3) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) scheduled...
Dec 9 09:48:27 mint NetworkManager[1686]: <info> Activation (cdc-wdm3) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) started...
Dec 9 09:48:27 mint NetworkManager[1686]: <info> Activation (cdc-wdm3) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) complete.
Dec 9 09:48:27 mint ModemManager[1449]: <info> Simple connect started...
Dec 9 09:48:27 mint ModemManager[1449]: <info> Simple connect state (4/8): Wait to get fully enabled
Dec 9 09:48:27 mint ModemManager[1449]: <info> Simple connect state (5/8): Register
Dec 9 09:48:27 mint NetworkManager[1686]: <warn> (cdc-wdm3) failed to connect modem: Network timeout
Dec 9 09:48:27 mint NetworkManager[1686]: <info> (cdc-wdm3): device state change: prepare -> failed (reason 'gsm-registration-timeout') [40 120 32]
Dec 9 09:48:27 mint N... Read more

Answer:X240 Broadband not working on Mint

Welcome to the forum, KevinAbelI don't know anything about Linux. But, as you've said about similar problem in the Windows, what are the wwan card's IDs? Any chance it's in the flash mode (i.e.the only port for flasing is opened)?

9 more replies
Relevance 37.72%

I have Linux Mint 18 on a T410 but am having difficulty because the cursor keeps wandering acreoss the screen.Is there any solution that does not require Windows?

Relevance 37.72%

Linux Mint 11 ?Katya? released!

[attachment=317]

[attachment=318]

[attachment=319]

[attachment=320]

New features at a glance:

One click install for multimedia codecs and extra applications
The Software Manager
UI improvements
New splash screen
Fonts category
More accurate package information
More application icons by default
More accurate search by default

The Update Manager
Performance boosts
Improved dependencies handling
Better changelog retrieval
UI improvements

The Desktop Settings tool
?Desktop-agnostic?, detection and upcoming compatibility with other desktops
New setting for the fortunes in the terminal

Artwork improvements
Backgrounds, overlay scrollbars, plymouth, Mint-X, search add-on.

System improvements
New ?apt download? command
Adobe flash plugins

Changes in the software selection
For a complete overview and to see screenshots of the new features, visit: ?What?s new in Linux Mint 11?.
Release notes:

Known problems

Icon sizes in the menu
Mint-X theme improvements missing
Upstream issues

Gnome theme failing to load
Compiz Fusion
Battery status indicator
Moonlight
Important information

Overlay scrollbars
Black splash screens
CD images
Distributors and magazines in the USA and Japan
Local repository and GnomePPP
Windows installer
To get more information about these problems and their solution, read the ?Release notes?.

Download Linux Mint 11 ?Katya?

Answer:Linux Mint 11 “Katya” released!

I may install it on a virtual machine depending on how much RAM it requires.
Can someone tell me how much it needs?

8 more replies

:welcomewave:

Linux Mint 12 has been released!

Go here for more information: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1889

Thanks!

I am one of those who declined to use Ubuntu, and switching to Linux Mint.

Answer:Linux Mint 12 “Lisa” released!

Thanks for the heads up.

14 more replies

Linux Mint said:

The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 12 KDE.

New features at a glance:

KDE 4.7.4
Hybrid ISO images
Search engines
Upstream componentsClick to expand...

Read More: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1927

Answer:Linux Mint 12 KDE Final Released!

RE: Linux Mint 12 KDE RC Released!

When getting this if I'm able to put 4 GB to the VM with Linux Mint do I have to get 64 bit like Windows?

6 more replies

Linux Mint said:

The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 12 LXDE.
​Linux Mint 12 LXDE​
New features at a glance:

LXDE
Hybrid ISO Images
Search Engines
Upstream Components

Read More & DownloadClick to expand...

Answer:Linux Mint 12 LXDE released!

RE: Linux Mint LXDE 12 RC Available for Download

I tried out the gnome 3 version, and its an absolute pain in the backside to use. Why are so many companies jumping on the big flashing buttons for touch screen devices band wagon. Bring back gnome 2 imo.

2 more replies

Clem said:

The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 13 ?Maya?.

Available in two editions, Linux Mint 13 features the choice between a productive, stable and mature MATE 1.2 desktop and the brand new modern-looking and exciting Cinnamon 1.4. These two desktops are among the best available, they?re perfectly integrated within Linux Mint and represent great alternatives to Gnome 2 users. Linux Mint 13 is also an LTS (Long Term Support) release and it will be supported until April 2017.Click to expand...

Answer:Linux Mint 13 “Maya” released!

RE: Linux Mint 13 ?Maya? RC released!

something new to Play with Other than Ubuntu

it's time i thought it will take for ever to see this

12 more replies
Relevance 37.72%

Linux Mint 17 is a long term support release which will be supported until 2019. It comes with updated software and brings refinements and many new features to make your desktop even more comfortable to use.

System requirements:
x86 processor (Linux Mint 64-bit requires a 64-bit processor. Linux Mint 32-bit works on both 32-bit and 64-bit processors).
512 MB RAM (1GB recommended for a comfortable usage).
5 GB of disk space (20GB recommended).
Graphics card capable of 800600 resolution (1024768 recommended).
CD/DVD drive or USB port
Download Link
64 bit - http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=160
32 bit - http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=159

Answer:Linux Mint 17 “Qiana” MATE

@viktik
so lovely Linux Mint right? btw what different with Cinnamon Desktop?

2 more replies
Relevance 37.72%

The latest version of Linux Mint, the 17th release codenamed ?Qiana?, is now out! The popular Linux distribution is a great alternative for people wanting to leave Windows as well as those who just don?t quite like Ubuntu.

Answer:Linux Mint 17 Final Released (May 31)

I am thinking to try it in the VM

28 more replies

Hello Guys,

At this very moment i am cleaning out a laptop so i can install Linux Mint on it.
The reason for this is simple, this is my spare laptop and i would like to give Mint a try.
I do have extensive knowledge about Cent Os, but after talking to a friend, he sort of convinced me to try Linux Mint as a direct counter to windows.

So i said to myself, hell yeah lets give it a spin, and i intend to make full use of this laptop for the next few weeks, so that my Linux Mint exp is solid enough to give it a win or fail verdict.

So here is the laptop config:

32 Bit, 1TB Hdd, 4GB ram, C-Duo P7350 Cpu 2.0Ghz, Intel GMA Graphics card (Shared) and Real T Sound.

That said i mentioned i would use Mint extensive, however i would like to focus on speed, security, and overall usability.

So which programs would you guys recommend to add to mint in order to make it a almost can do it all laptop without losing its potential.

Cheers

Answer:Linux Mint (Latest Distro)

i kinda prefer linux mint kde which edition will you be using?

21 more replies

hi,

As we know Mint Is based on Ubuntu but Ubuntu doesn't have some tools available in Mint and some of them are very useful and are "must-have"

so there the procedure:

open terminal, type:
Code:
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ qiana main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mint.list'
then update by
Code:
sudo apt-get update
normally an error should happen at the end about the public key

so type :
Code:
sudo apt-get install linuxmint-keyring
a permission will be asked, say yes to the prompt

re-update by
Code:
sudo apt-get update

this time no more error should happen and you will have now access to every Mint tolls
that is it.

Relevance 37.72%

Hello!Can you tell me if the "Lenovo B51-35 Notebook A8-7410 Quad-Core HD matt R5 M330" is compatible with Linux Mint 18.1? If not, which Type of Linux should I install? The Laptop has no Windows or else preinstalled. Thank's for your answers! Hallo!Kann mir jemand sagen ob das "Lenovo B51-35 Notebook A8-7410 Quad-Core HD matt R5 M330" mit Linux Mint 18.1 kompatibel ist? Wenn nicht, welches andere Linux-System wrdet Ihr empfehlen? Der Laptop hat kein vorinstalliertes Betriebssystem. Vielen Dank im Voraus!